Chapter 40 Part 1/3

One paw in front of the other, step after step. Each step brought me closer to home. At my side were Timon and Pumbaa. We've been traveling for three days now. I'm the one that kept us moving day and night. The only way we would catch up to Simba is if we never rested, never faltered.

The sun beat hot on our backs and the sand burned my paws. I narrowed my eyes against the glaring sun. After three days of nonstop traveling, my body was exhausted and that gazelle seemed like a lifetime ago.

Horizon after horizon we were met with more sand dunes. It looked as if it went on forever, but I knew that it didn't. We couldn't be too far away now. My determination pushed me onward, and I pitied Timon and Pumbaa-they didn't share my determination.

"Are we almost there?" Pumbaa groaned, nearly tripping. Timon rested on Pumbaa's back and I thought him lazy because of it. To be fair, it would take us a lot longer with his short stride.

I didn't reply to Pumbaa since that's the hundredth time he's asked me since the sun rose. Instead, I pushed onward. A harsh wind picked up and the sand stung my eyes. Hissing, I tried to use my paw to get the sand out of my eyes, but it only made it worse.

"We'll never get there," Timon complained. "What's the point of this anyway?"

"I already told you," I growled at him, narrowing my eyes. "I need to return to my family."

"Can't we stop to rest?" Pumbaa begged, nearly falling again.

Glancing behind me, I saw how miserable they looked. I sighed and looked ahead. Before us was a ginormous sand dune. "Alright, you two stay here and rest. I'll scout ahead."

Without another word, I ran forward and ignored my burning paws. My lungs were so tired and my body needed water. I fell many times trying to climb the steep dune, but I kept going. The thought of my daughter kept me going.

I collapsed at the crest of the hill. My body was so tired...so tired. How much longer could I go on? Weakly, I raised my head and peered through the heat towards the horizon. Wait, was that the cliff of the gorge?

With newfound strength, I leaped to my paws. It was! We were at the edge of the Pridelands! I spun on my haunches and careened down the hill towards Timon and Pumbaa.

"We're here!" I exclaimed. "We're at the edge of the Pridelands!"

Pumbaa jumped up and Timon nearly fell off. "Finally!"

I laughed with them and ran back up the hill with them at my side. When we reached the crest of the dune, we stood there for a moment, just staring. "I'm almost home," I whispered excitedly. I'm coming Vitani...

With Timon and Pumbaa on my heels, I charged down the hill and threw up sand behind me. The wind carried me and I flew like a bird over the last stretch of the desert. Vitani wasn't far away! I could see my mother again! Tama and Kula would greet me and we could enjoy our days like we used to. I could practically taste freedom.

When I reached the cliff, I found the split where the river used to flow. Timon and Pumbaa followed me as we moved quietly among the shadows. The last time I was here, Malka fought off the hyenas so I could escape. An eerie feeling hung in the air and I kept my senses alert.

"This place gives me the creeps," Pumbaa snorted as his wide eyes surveyed the tall cliff walls.

"Wait until you see the rest of the Pridelands," I muttered under my breath. We reached the rocky slope and started to climb.

I was the first to reach the top and I immediately noticed Simba standing at the edge of the Pridelands. The fact that he came all of this way alone made me admire him. He's been gone for so long that this probably spooked him.

"Simba, wait up!" I called and trotted to his side. For a moment we just stood there. The desolate wasteland before us looked just as pitiful as I remembered. "It's awful, isn't it?"

Simba sighed and shook his head. "I didn't want to believe you."

I glanced at him with questions swirling in my mind, "What made you come back?"

He chuckled, "I finally got some sense knocked into me. And I've got the bump to prove it. Besides, this is my kingdom. If I don't fight for it, who will?"

Without a pause, I spoke up with complete confidence. "I will." I'll fight for this land, for my family, my daughter...

"It's gonna be dangerous," Simba warned me as if I didn't already know.

I smirked like Simba always used to when we were younger. "Danger? Ha! I laugh in the face of danger. Ha ha ha ha!" Our eyes met and I felt braver with him at my side.

Suddenly, Pumbaa trotted forward with Timon on his back. Timon leaped from his back and crossed his arms. "I see nothing funny about this."

Simba stared at them in surprise. "Timon? Pumbaa? What are you doing here?"

Pumbaa bowed to Simba and I saw how uncomfortable it made him. "At your service, my liege."

In the meantime, Timon walked forward to study the wasteland before us. "Uh, we're going to fight your uncle...for this?"

Simba's shoulders shook with a sigh. "Yes, Timon; this is my home."

"Pft, talk about your fixer-upper!" Timon sighed and faced Simba. "Well, Simba, if it's important to you," Timon bowed, "We're with you to the end."

I smiled, glad that Simba had found such loyal friends. They might be odd, but they cared about him. That was enough for them to win my approval.

The four of us crossed the Pridelands and headed for Priderock. We hid behind a log and I shivered. Hyenas were everywhere.

Timon shuddered beside me. "Hyenas. I hate hyenas!" He leaned over and whispered to Simba. "So what's your plan for gettin' past those guys?"

"Live bait," Simba answered and I understood what he meant right away.

Timon nodded, "Good idea." The more he thought of it, the more he realized what Simba meant. "Heeey..." Pumbaa started to look very uncomfortable.

"Come on, Timon," Simba whispered. "You guys have to create a diversion."

Nervous, Timon crossed his arms. "What do you want me to do? Dress in drag and do the hula?"

Simba gave him a long look. Timon and Pumbaa finally caved. I watched them race towards the hyenas and I hoped that they would be okay.

"Nala, go rally the lionesses," Simba ordered. "I'll go find Scar."

Feeling bold again, I rubbed underneath his chin. "Be careful, Simba."

"Hey," He looked into my eyes. "We're going to get through this. I won't let him hurt you."

Too late. But I just nodded and hurried off. This was our one chance. One misstep and we would be done for. I tried not to imagine the things Scar would do to me if he found me here.