"I'm not like you and I never will be! I hate you!" I blurted, then immediately regretted it. I felt the blood drain from my face as I stepped back, watching Rick's face harden.

I had just told the man who saved my life that I hated him. The man who welcomed me into his home with open arms. The man who raised me as his son.

"I didn't-"

"Go to your room." Rick interrupted, his voice steely. I felt a lump in my throat as I tensed up.

"Dad-"

"I said go to your goddamn room! Jesus Christ, just go!" Rick barked at me. I felt a shock of fear go through me and bolted up the stairs without another word. I hardly noticed Lucas standing at the top of the stairs watching. I just brushed past him and into my room, slamming the door shut and locking it.

Even from my door, I could hear my parents arging just minutes later.

"I can't believe you yelled at him like that, Rick!"

"I was losing my cool, Dev. Why did you let him bring that guy over? I don't like him at all."

"You don't like anyone! So what if Oliver has a boyfriend? He's a teenager, of course he's gonna want to have a boyfriend!"

"I don't like that kid. I don't trust him at all. There's something wrong about him and I know he's gonna hurt Oliver."

"Bullshit. The kid was polite and talkative. There's nothing wrong-"

"That's because you're a sap. You let people talk you into anything, Dev. For once, I'm making the decisions around here and my decision is that Oliver cannot see that kid anymore."

"Who the fuck said you could make decisions?! This isn't a dictatorship, you asshole! And I'm giving you a fair warning right now that if you ever, ever yell at him again like that, I'm going to make you regret."

"Fuck you, Dev."

Great, now my parents hated each other and it was my fault. I groaned and pressed a pillow to my face, hoping I'd suffocate until I heard a knock on the door.

"Go away." I grunted. No response, except another knock.

"I said buzz off!" I snapped. Another knock. I groaned and sat up angrily, throwing the pillow on the bed and heading to the door, throwing it open to snap until I saw it was Lucas standing there, looking at me blankly.

One second I was raging mad and wanted to punch something, the next I was letting Lucas into my room and shutting the door behind him. We sat on the bed, but said nothing. It didn't shock me as Lucas was always silent. It was natural for him.

I just sat on the bed against the wall, picking at the loose strings on one of my pillows while Lucas sat across from me, his legs criss-crossed and his eyes watching me.

"What did you want?" I asked at last. Big shocker, he said nothing and looked away. I sighed and slumped against the wall, hugging the pillow to my chest. I felt achy and weak, still trembling from the accident earlier. I wanted to hug someone.

I wanted to hug Nick.

Thinking about him just made me feel even more depressed, so I switched my thoughts to something else.

"So, your parents are getting evicted?" I asked at last. Lucas looked at me flatly and nodded, but not a word spoken.

"That sucks. Where're you gonna go?"

"Here." Lucas deadpanned. I blinked, sitting up and putting my pillow away.

"What? Did my parents agree to let you stay?" I asked, perplexed. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. My dad (Devin) was extremely close to his brother, Danny. He was probably thrilled to have him stay for a while, but he'd probably regret it after a while. I loved my uncle Danny, don't get me wrong, but he mopes at lot and is rather lazy half the time.