Chapter XV: To Fight, And Be Fought

Start from the beginning

What had she done to herself?

The Dowager Empress caught my expression at that moment, and shot me a glare, which the Princess conveniently missed.

"Come, dear, sit by me," she gestured to Princess Natalya, forcing a rather unnerving smile on her face, "I have some good news to share with you."

The Princess sat down, looking wary.

"Yesterday, an envoy from Florencia arrived on our shores," the Dowager Empress began, keeping that smile on her face, "he has brought a marriage proposal from the King of Florencia, on behalf of his son Crown Prince Wilhelm. For you."

I blinked, surprised. Surely even the Dowager Empress could not be this dense -

In the meanwhile, Princess Natalya stiffened where she sat, all colour draining from her countenance. "Marriage proposal?"

"Crown Prince Wilhelm was most taken with your portrait, and word of your grace, kindness and gentle nature has reached Florencia," the Dowager Empress continued in her excitement, "he is most eager to wed you at the earliest opportunity."

She raised an eyebrow. "Did word of my job as an Archery Mistress reach him as well?" she asked sardonically, "is he willing to marry a woman who might be a better warrior than he is?"

The Dowager Empress did not pick on her tone. "I am certain that your...undesirable qualities can be omitted from being mentioned," she nodded more to herself, "'tis not as if you are going to work after your marriage, surely..."

I was affronted upon hearing that, and even Princess Natalya's eyes narrowed. "I beg your pardon?"

Her mother laughed, sending chills down my back. "There is no need to mention to them that you are an Archery Mistress," she waved it off, "in any case, after your marriage, you will be too busy with your duties as Crown Princess consort and begetting heirs to pick up a bow and arrow."

She was about to argue, when the Dowager Empress took her hands in her own.

"If you say yes now, your brother and the King of Florencia can enter negotiations," she beamed, "and if God wills it, you will be married by summer next year. How about it?"

"By...summer next year?" the Princess repeated in horror.

The Dowager Empress nodded, eager.

Princess Natalya looked at her hand, as her eyes began to fill with tears. "You only do this when you want me to do as you say," she murmured so low that I almost could not catch it, "only then, and never else."

She looked up at her mother. "You have never bothered to understand me," she whispered, filled with pain, "and mayhap never will." She did not scream the words, but she might as well have.

My heart squeezed in pain for her.

With that, she removed her hand from her mother's, stood up abruptly, and strode out of the chambers. A few seconds later, I could hear the Princess's chamber doors at the end of the corridor slam shut loudly.

The Dowager Empress continued to blink at the doors, shocked. Despite my will, a snort left my lips, which did not do unnoticed.

"Did you find anything amusing?" her nostrils flared.

I shook my head. "You, Madame, have the emotional capacity of a teaspoon."

"I beg your pardon?" her eyes narrowed dangerously.

"The Princess is clearly still mourning over her broken engagement, Your Majesty," I sighed, exasperated, "what in the world possessed you, or the Emperor for that matter, to bring a proposal to her at such a time?"