I took it from him. "Thanks," I said as I turned, pulling the door open and nearly racing out to the car. I wanted to get the school day over with so I could search for my best friend. I jumped into the truck, starting it as the two got in as well. I pressed on the gas as soon as their doors were closed, speeding out of the driveway.

All I could see was her wide brown eyes as she called for help. The weapon against her skin. The glazed look in her eyes when I trapped her in my arms. The tears forming in her eyes as I leaned down to kiss her.

"Josh!" Iya suddenly yelled, and I realized her hands were gripping the arm rests so tightly her knuckles were white. "You may not value yer life, but we do. Slow down!"

I felt my cheeks heat as I glanced down at the speedometer. "Sorry," I mumbled, taking my foot off the gas immediately. I heard Levi sigh from the back seat as I slowed to the speed limit. "I got a lot on my mind…"

"I know," she sighed sadly. "I can't stop thinkin' 'bout her neither."

My hands tightened on the wheel. I turned into the elementary school parking lot and let Levi out before I spoke. "What if we don't find her? Wha...what if she's kil—" I couldn't finished the sentence as my voice cracked and I sucked in a large breath.

"We'll find her," she growled. "Or she'll find us."

"But—"

"Josh, stop. She can't be kept from you the same way you can't be kept from her. Don't worry."

"I… I can't live without her, Iya. She doesn't even love me…" I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

Iya scoffed. "Are ya kiddin' me? Of course she does. She's yer mate. Mates always love each other."

I shook my head slightly. "You in love with Jesse?"

She flushed immediately. "What? No, of course not. We're just friends. What does that have ta do with anythin'?"

"Because then that's not true."

"What?" She turned to me, her eyebrows furrowed. "I—I don't understand."

"You wouldn't," I sighed.

She frowned, turning away to ponder what I had said.

As soon as I parked, Destiny appeared at my window, her eyes ringed with red. She waited until I had opened the door before she spoke. "Where's Danny?" she asked, her voice cracking.

I should've known. I should've seen Destiny feigning worry. I couldn't explain how I had seen her be taken. I widened my eyes to look surprised, and then furrowed my eyebrows. "Wha-what do ya mean? You don't know where she is?"

"She never came home last night," she said, sniffling. "I was hoping she was with you."

I shook my head slowly. "I didn't see her last night after dinner."

Her head tipped to the side. "But I thought I heard you two fighting or something."

"Maybe…" I said quietly. "But I would never hurt her. It was a stupid fight anyways." With a jolt I realized I had never apologized. I had never said sorry for what Destiny had done. My heart clenched at the thought.

"I know," Destiny sighed. "But I'm so worried about her. She never disappears like this. What if something bad has happened to her?"

Did she actually care about her sister, or was this all just an act to get attention? "We'll find her," I assured her. I'll find her.

"Or she'll just show up on her own," Iya chirped, a hopeful look in her eyes.

My chest tightened at her words, and I knew the chances of that were slim to none. I had to find her. I brushed past Destiny before I could do something I regretted and started towards the school. Before I knew it, the twins and Adam were by my side, their silent presence a simple comfort. I lifted my head a bit higher with my pack with me, but the hole in my chest never closed. But with my family, I felt like I could accomplish anything. But I only had one thing in mind. Finding Danny.