I paused, sighing. Why? You can't do anything, anyways.

Your lack of faith in me hurts, darlin'. You'd be surprised at what I can do.

My breath caught in my throat. But you're hurt. I... I don't know if I'm ready to see you...shift...again.

He sighed, and I could tell my words actually hurt him. You're right. I'm sorry. I've never told anyone before. I've never had ta wait fer someone ta get... used ta it. The whole wolf thing is normal in my family.

I guess I'm a part of that now, huh?

Definitely. He laughed. I can let ya in on every secret, and every conversation.

Should I be flattered?

He chuckled again. Yes, he replied. Very much so. You are the first human who's been let inta the pack.

I gasped lowly. I'm a part of the pack? I asked breathlessly.

...of course. Why would ya think otherwise?

It just didn't cross my mind. I paused, letting it sink in. I'm a part of a werewolf pack.

Yes, he said simply, a bit of amusement hidden in his voice. Ou-my pack.

Is that what Adam meant? I asked as I walked.

Josh paused, and I felt his anger in my chest. What da ya mean? What did he tell ya?

I bit my lip. He said that whoever finds her, which I'm guessing is another word for 'mate', gets power over the pack.

Josh growled lowly. Well, technically, yes, he's right. The first son a the alpha that finds his mate is heir ta the position. Normally, it's the oldest, and Adam's always wan'ed ta be Alpha, but he is younger than me. And no one else's found her yet.

So he's jealous?

Basically, Josh agreed. He's just tryin' ta scare ya off. And he'll probably try ta do it again.

I grinned to myself, chuckling. Ya can't get rid a me that easily, I said, imitating his accent.

His deep laugh reached my ears. Why would I want to?

I was about to reply with a smart comment when the house came into view. My breath caught in my throat; my father's truck was parked in the driveway, right next to Destiny's Mustang. Danny? Josh asked, questioning my sudden silence with worry laced in his voice. Danny?! Desperation seeped into his tone.

I'll...talk to you later. I squeaked, clutching my books close to my chest as I forced myself to keep walking.

Wait, Danny, please, no-I cut him off.

Don't come, Josh. I said, imagining my wall going up around my mind.

It suddenly dawned on me, the way thoughts often do. Today was Thanksgiving.

But for me, there was no big feast, there was no family gathering, but there was only one thing to be thankful for. Josh.

The knob burned my hand as I grabbed it, taking a deep breath. I pushed it open ever so slightly, holding my breath. The sounds of laughter, drinking, and poker chips greeted me. Five men were seated around the coffee table, a set of poker chips and cards lain out. Bottles of beer accompanied each man, and one was gripped in the hands of my drunken father.