Chapter 36

**** Charity gasped when the first of many shots rangout. Soon the air was filled with the sound of weapons fire in the distance. Thankful that Michael was such a sound sleeper, she placed him in the crib and scanned the various play pens and carry cribs filled with sleeping angels of the ranch. A sound brought her attention to Drina stepping through the doorway, her face white, and hugging herself tightly. As if to ward off a chill.

"The other kids are all sleeping in the master bedroom, and the playroom, next door. Alex is going to be making the rounds in the house while Jason is standing watch by the front door, and one of the new ranch hands is guarding the back. The locks and shutters on all the windows are locked tight, the French doors in our room are closed but not locked."

"What about the girls?"

Drina smiled, "Ava, and Carlyn are baby sitting in the playroom on the first floor. Kaylee and Brittany are on the second floor," (she held two fingers up and made quotation marks in the air). 'locked, loaded and ready for bearr'. If I had my way they wouldr be with the kids as well, Alex too, but....that suggestion didn't go over very well." She grimaced and roled her eyes and Charity grinned.

***

Kyle dropped the mobster to the ground and turned to his father and Rowdy. "How many does that make?"

Rowdy grinned and said, "That was the last of 'em. They were pretty well organized, but none of 'em had any form of military trainin' and several have been going to MikkeyDee's to often." as he walked away.

Beau bit back a grin and Kyle took a deep breath and shook his head. Rowdy had enjoyed making that report a little too much. "You know, this isn't a game ole man." He said.

Rowdy stopped in his tracks and turned slowly. Narrowed green eyes locked with dark brown ones, "What did you just call me....boy?"

Brick (who had been helping with the wounded) stood and spoke to Rowdy. "He called you 'ole man'.... ole man. You might want to get used to it." He hoped Rowdy couldn't see how hard he was biting the inside of his mouth to keep from laughing.

Rowdy was about to answer when they heard Alex's rifle. Kyle ordered four wranglers to stand watch over the captives and care for the wounded ranch hands. "You other men, come with us." They all grabbed a horse and took off for Beau's place.

***

Alex nodded and spoke into his cell phone as he checked the mudroom, "Yeah, yeah. I know, Bear. I know. So far all the action has been away from the house and around the barns. It's so quiet here except for babies crying and video games it's almost boring." he complained. "I wanted to go with pop and help but mom threw a hissy fit and I had to stay here. All I'm doing is walking around the rooms checkin' and recheckin'."

At the other end of the line Bear chuckled and shook his head at the teen's naive desire for action. "I know it all sounds exciting, Alex; but what you're doing is of absolute importantance. Those children are not just helpless but the future, they have to be protected at all costs. We can't let that woman use Charity and Michael as weapons for her own ends." The big Native American heard the teenagers huge sigh so clearly he could almost feel it.

"I know, I know, I don't want 'em hurt either. Don't worry, I'll watch out for em." Alex roled his eyes. "I'll call you in another half hour or so as ordered," Alex said and was closing the phone, when he was grabbed from behind.