Chapter 16

**** Brittany had been desperate for some 'me time' to practice. There was so much stress at home... she just had to get away from everyone. She was in one of her favorite areas not far from Wolf Mountain. She could hear the water as it rushed over the rocks and down the stream. She could see the mist from the waterfall as it splashed above the bushes as if she timed it just right... the mist enfolded them with the almost magical spray. She loved this area. It had been a sacred place for the local tribe and she felt as if her grandfather and the tribal elders watched over her as she and Aphrodite practiced roping. Suddenly, her horse huffed, twitched her ears toward the West and pranced at the unfamiliar.

That was when she spotted a huge black stallion, with a white blaze, and four white socks. Brittany was struck dumb by the fine specimen, even by the ranch's standards.

"Oh! Look at you!" She said in awe at the magnificent animal. "What a beauty you are. Easy girl," She soothed her own restless mare. "We won't get too close. He's a real looker isn't he, Sweetheart." Her mare nodded several times and sidestepped.

"Where did you come from, handsome? I think I know all the horses around here and I don't remember seeing you anywhere. Are you lost?"

The mammoth beast tossed and shook his head with a snort, and pawed the ground as if showing his disdain for the question.

"Shhhh. Easy boy. I won't insult you again, sorry about that."

Slowly the impressive black took one step after another, closer and closer to the girl and her mare. She stretched her hand out and chuckled when her mare turned to face him. The horses stretched their necks until soft noses touched.

"He certainly is a handsone devil isn't he, Ditie? Someone takes good care of this guy, but..." She turned in the saddle and looked around her, 'Where's his rider? Why is this big guy out here all by his lonesome?'

She couldn't help but smile as Aphrodite and the stallion nosed each other, ears high. She grinned when the black turned his attention to her.

"What's your name fella?"

"Ares," A deep, masculine voice said from behind her. "And he is quite discerning... doesn't generally take kindly to strangers - two or four legged."

Brittany spun around, eyes wide in shock that she was not alone after all. The big man stood behind her, legs wide, arms crossed, other people may have been mistaken into believing that he was relaxed, but not her. Not knowing the men she knew who lived and worked on the ranch, many of whom had served in the Special Forces and Law Enforcement. She felt the hair on the back of her neck stand, yet her heart threatened to pound right out of her chest.

 She felt the hair on the back of her neck stand, yet her heart threatened to pound right out of her chest