Chapter 9

**** Carlyn bristled at the perceived insinuation and almost growled. Both animals and Michael picked up on the stress in the air and looked at the adults.

'Calm down, Pepper. Pan - stand down.' Kyle sent the assurance to the animals who were becoming uncomfortable.

Kyle gave Carlyn a resounding kiss and suggested that she take Pepper, Pan and Michael for a walk. He thought they were all ready for one.

Knowing she had been given a cleverly worded order she kissed him back, snapped on Pan's leash and gave the offending woman a dark look as she walked down the ramp.

Kyle took a deep, controlled breath and waited until Carlyn, Pan and Pepper were out of ear shot.

"I would appreciate it in the future if you would save your negative comments and enuindoes till we're alone."

She noticed that he still hadn't made eye contact with her and was actually grateful. She wasn't sure if she could handle the icy look his beautiful brown eyes would have sent her way.

"I'm sorry, that sort of popped out." She stammered.

"Popped out?! A registered nurse is supposed to have enough common sense and personal control to forestal any, "popping out". He snapped back.

"I am perfectly aware of what I can and cannot handle physically - much more so than your Nurse Know it all. I can assure you that I checked with the prosthetic manufacturer and Rowdy prior to entering the rodeo. Or had you forgotten that my brain was not injured along with my leg?"

Charity closed her eyes and silently asked for the right words as she sat his tea on the banister and sat on the swing.

"I know... and you're right. I would never have said that to a patient in the hospital, I'm sorry. It isn't that I doubt your ability, I know how strong and agile you are, I do. But... you're also my friend and I just... don't want you to do any further damage."

He understood and appreciated what she was saying but, heck! It sure did a number on his pride.

"I suppose I can understand that, but I can't and won't allow this," he pointed to his leg and then the chair "to completely change my life. I can still do things or had you forgotten that I am the Sheriff? I do run down the bad guys when I need to."

"Yes, I know that, but I also know that you frequently pay for it afterwards - physically. I also know that while you need to keep your life on track sometimes you'll get derailed. Riding bulls could do that no matter how brave, capable or agile you are! Things happen. Even to the best and most able. I... don't want anything to happen to you, that's all."

He noticed a flush had spread from her lovely neck to her beautiful face despite her attempts to hide behind the mug.

'Hmmm. In-ter-es-ting.' He was sure Eli had been urging him to push her a bit. He had a dream recently that Eli had been in his office. They were laughing and talking as usual. He missed his lifelong friend so much. Suddenly Eli had stood and strode to the door and looked at him, really looked hard.

'Charity has been alone long enough, buddy. I don't want her to raise Michael by herself, and I don't want her to feel bad about being with someone else... You two have a good friendship to build on. You'd be good for her, and I know... you've always had feelings for her. You stepped aside when you saw I did too. It was a heck of a thing to do... don't know if I could have. But it's time to step up now, buddy. You can make her happy, keep her safe... her and Michael both. Don't let me stand in the way, you both deserve to be happy, bro.' He walked through the dream door and hadn't returned.

Kyle pursed his lips as he thought about his friend's last visit. He had deliberately kept a tight rein on his feelings for Charity because of his friendship with Eli. Perhaps Eli had given his blessing. He knew that his family would be protected and taken care of. The Blanton's and Kincaid's were just that kind of people.

Maybe the time had come to take their longtime friendship to another level. He would just have to take it slow.

However... what she had said really had taken a chunk out of his pride - momentarily. 'Still, hmmm she wouldn't have said it had she not cared. Hmmm.' He grinned and sent a shrill whistle into the air.

"I think Pan and Michael have had enough of a ride. We don't want Michael to get saddle sore."

Charity blinked, surprised at the abrupt change of subject. She had been afraid that she might have gone too far about the bull riding. Carlyn and Michael's laughter reached them before the four came around the house.

Michael was working, "the reins" and tried to bounce in the saddle. "Diddy up, Pan. Diddy up!"

"Easy there cowboy," the Sheriff called no bounce too hard. The little boy's grin matched the true happiness in his eyes. He laughed and tried to wave to his mother but his diapered bottom slipped on the saddle.

Carlyn giggled and took a firmer grip on the wiggling little body.

Pan walked sedately along beside Pepper. Both exuded contentment and happiness and sent a thank you to Kyle, while Pepper already knew the joys of having a child friend, Pan was just learning. He chuckled and sent his four legged friend a mental pat of appreciation for her patience.

"It's amazing how well Michael and Pan get along. I mean, I know that Pan is exceptionally well trained but she really seems to enjoy being around us."

"What's not to enjoy, Cherry? Chill my child, all will be well." This had been a favorite quote that both Kyle and Eli had learned from Beau years ago when their impatience was getting the best of them. She had heard Beau tell Kyle once that it was better than a thump on the head - wasn't it?

Kyle broke into her revery. "Soooo, Cherry. Have you figured out where Eli's files are yet?"

"Uhhhhh! No! How many times... wait!" She sat up and klunked her mug onto the banister so hard tea sloshed out. She looked at Kyle wide eyed.