Chapter 17

**** Back at the house Charity watched from around the corner (enjoying the view) of Kyle laying under the kitchen sink 'trying' to fix the pipe. The Sheriff had removed his shirt and now lay there bronze skin glistening with sweat. He had just finished and was pulling himself into a sitting position when a single shot rang out in the distance.

Pan stood at alert and gave a low, 'Woof!'

Kyle pulled himself up with a frown. 'I heard it, girl. That was no huntin' rifle.'

Charity stepped into the kitchen with an now cold platter of ribs in and turned to look out the window. "That didn't sound like any firearm I know."

Kyle pulled himself to his feet and headed for the gun cabinet. "That was a sniper rifle."

Charity watched as Kyle pulled his own rifle out and began checking it over, a look of concentration on his face. He checked every inch of the weapon with a practiced efficiency, born from years of training.

"Kyle, what kind of gun is that? I've never seen one quite like it. "

He blinked and turned back to her, eyes clearing.

'Had he been in Ranger mode?' She asked herself.

The look on his face was chilling. "This is an old Sniper Rifle. She and I are old friends from way back. She's a 6XC."

"Looks heavy." She said in amazment.

He shook his head, "No, she only weighs about 16 pounds." He tossed her some ammo. "Here."

Slowly she rolled the shell between her fingers, "These looks deadly."

He nodded, "Berger 105gr Hybrid @ 3000 fps. She gets the job done."

Charity looked up on him with new eyes. No longer was she seeing Kyle as the kid she'd grown up with. A warrior, an Army Ranger stood before her.

She watched the warrior come through and take control of the person she grew up with as he began to name off each part of the rifle.

"Umm, Kyle."

No answer. 'Okay, I'll try this then.' "Sir, would you mind giving me a run down of your chosen weapon?"

Without looking up, he began to rattle off each part of the rifle in military terms. To her, he might as well have been speaking Greek.

"Manage Elite Tactical 100% Carbon Fiber Folding Stock, Surgeon 591 Action, Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25x56 DT, Spur Mount, Jewel Trigger, AI 10rd Magazine, Kruieger 5-R 24 inch MTU Barrel, JET Customs Muzzle Break," he tossed her a long tube, "and a TBAC 30P-1 Suppressor."

He slammed the magazine in, after making sure it was full, and headed for the door. "Call Spence and let him know what's goin' on. Pan, stay here girl."

***

Brittany rolled back under the cover of the bush and turned to give Brick a smile. But, it didn't last long.

Brick's skin had paled, there was a layer of sweat on his face, the scar had gone stark white, and his breath appeared to be labored. He gave her a small nod, and double checked his revolver.

'Time to get back to work, Ole man.' He thought to himself.

Brittany leaned in and whispered, "Let me see."

Before he could answer Brick was surprised when she ripped his bloody shirt open and removed the makeshift bandage.

"Brick, we can't go hunting this guy down. You're still loosing blood."

She looked him in the eye as she began to apply pressure to the wound. "The bullet is still in there, I need to get you to my uncle's. He's a trauma surgeon."

Brick shook his head, amazed at how much effort such a simple act took. "No. No doctors. I have to stay off the grid."

She thought for a second, "Surely if he was still out there he would have made his move by now."

"Not necessarily. Snipers can stay in one place for days if they have to."

She studied the wound one more time. He was losing too much blood. If she didn't get him help soon....she shook her head.

'No. Stay calm. Remember all the training daddy, and Uncle Rowdy gave you. Think, Tany. Think. Uncle Rowdy is out of the question, not to mention the clinic is too far. He'd never make the ride over.'

She looked around trying to think of something, then she saw it. In the distance, smoke rose from her brother's grill.

'Kyle. His place is less than two miles east, and Charity is with him. She's an RN at the trauma center. She's our best bet.'

She turned back to the man next to her. 'Now you just have to get him there.'

Grabbing her satellite phone she pressed a button. "Cisco! I need your help. Over."

***

Charity hopped out of Kyle's older Dodge, medical bag in hand. "Tany, honey! Where are you?!"

Kyle (who was now kneeling in the bed of the truck, eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger) called out to his sister, "Hey, kiddo! Where are ya?"

Brittany had never been so glad to hear voices in all her life, "Here, we're over here!"

Brick slowly tried to stand, "Come on Brick man, we can't stay here. We have to make it to them."

Brittany knew he was right. Staying in one place meant they were sitting ducks. They had to get away from the area, back to the cabin. She began to help him stand, but his size and weight it was a little more difficult than she thought it would be.

Charity appeared at that moment only to stop when she saw who the patient was. After her moment of shock passed, she took in his condition and took over.

"Ok, let's get him into the truck. It's Brick, right?"

He studied her with that intense violet eye, "Charity."

She nodded, as she helped get him to the truck bed. While they walked, she kept talking, asking questions to ascertain the level of shock.

"Brick, do you know where you are?"

He rolled his eye, "Yeah sure, isn't this Moon Base One?"

Charity grinned up at him as she lowered the tailgate, "Don't get mouthy with me, bud. I have needles and I know how to use them."

Kyle chuckled, "That's what he does best. What happened this time, bro?"

Brick gave him a fierce glare for emphasis, "Like you got room to talk!"

Kyle laughed, as he helped his old friend into the truck, and then hopped into the drivers seat after making sure everyone one was safely in the back and the shooter was gone he took off for the cabin.