05|Roberry, Midnight Talks & Pies

Matt extended his right arm to stretch his tired muscles a break. He screwed his eyes shut for a moment as a strange feeling kept knocking into his stomach, like some shit was about to happen. Matt was not one to be paranoid but in that moment, he swear that something was up. 

     It didn't sit right with him.

     He ran a hand through his hair and took a couple of deep breaths. Thinking he was just suffering all those mix feelings from being sleep deprived.

     After all, Matt was never one to chase after a guy, much less than date a guy. Sighing, Matt cracked his neck and began restocking the wine rack one bottle at a time.

     Looking to his left, Matt narrowed his eyes as he watched the empty hallway with confusion in his mind.

     It's been a day since he saw that handsome piece of—. Matt cursed to himself as he closed his eyes for a second. Saying to himself that it was just a man, that love at first sight was a load of bullshit. So there was no need for him to act crazy again.

     But some parts of him couldn't wait but to act all haywire again. He didn't know anything about that mysterious man but there was something about him that made it irresistible to come closer to. Like there was a force much stronger than common attraction, one that destroys all barriers and walls. It was like love, no matter how much Matt likes to think otherwise.

     Once content about a decision in his mind that whatever it is, Matt was feeling was nothing  more than...a petty crush, or something like that.

     After making up his mind, Matt momentarily evaded thinking about the man who continued to haunt his mind and instead began working to finish his job. He was focused on stacking one bottle to the next that he hadn't notice his phone ringing till' it the second ring.

     “Hello?” Matt answered, eyes fixated on the rack.

     “Is this Matt Hoffman?” An unfamiliar voice of a man spoke. Matt felt his heart beat out of his chest and felt an ominous vibe coming from the conversation.

     “Yes. Who is this?” He replied.

     “Seattle Police Department. There has been a robbery, Sir. I think you need to come down here at The Red Diner—” Matt didn't even waited for the officer to finish his call as Matt instantly ran to the door and headed to the diner. The diner his mother worked at.

***

     A mixture of red and blue lights covered the entire place as Matt saw the view. About a couple of police cars were present at the diner, as well as an ambulance. A few dozen people were present with each of there own voices; crying, screaming and talking senseless about the event.

     Matt felt sick to the pit of his stomach. Being disoriented and throwing up at the same time, he didn't know where to go but his legs brought him nearer and nearer to the commotion that was happening behind the police crime scene.

     Walker closer, Matt had a better view of what was behind the police crime scene that had a few dozen people circling around at whatever they were looking at.

      As the cold night air began creeping to his skin, wearing only his work clothes after discarding his jacket, Matt felt more frozen to the bone.

     He forced himself to look at the commotion, and after a few seconds, Matt was able to breathe on his tightening chest. It wasn't her, It wasn't her mother. But where were she? Matt looked around and his eyes brought him towards the single ambulance that was parked near the crime scene and his heart began pounding out from his chest with the sight of his mother sitting by the ambulance with a cast on her arm and a paramedic that seemed to checked her vital sign.

     Matt instantly darted into a run and came to embrace his mother in a deep and nervous hug. Annie was surprised for a second but didn't stop him from doing it.

     Matt retreated from his embrace and looked Annie with curious eyes, inspecting face, neck and  then finally flicking over to her arm that not had a cast on.

     “Mom, What happened?! You got me worrying sick” Matt rushed to his mother as tears began to form in his eyes. Annie saw his hands begin to shake violently that was clutched to her good arm due to the frigid weather. Matt tried to bite his lips to stop the tears from falling but failed as his worries got the best of him.

     Annie motioned for the female paramedic that was near her and nodded her head towards his shivering son, she smiled politely and offered a blanket to Matt. He placed it over his back but still had his eyes locked on his mother.

     “There was a robbery at the diner. One man and there was quite a fist fight that happened between Raul and the culprit. After the man left with the cash, I walk over to check on Raul and the next thing I know is that I was on the floor feeling with my head in the stars” she spoke, then arched her eyebrows to his son. Matt shook his head in confusion as Annie smiled thinly and shrugged.

     “I slipped because of a puddle of syrup”

     It fell silent for a moment beside the constant talking in the back drop as both Annie and Matt erupted in a few light hearten laugh that both found irresistible with each other.

      Still, the tense in Matt's heart never left. He cared about his mother a little too much, worrying about the littlest thing that made him paranoid.

     “You said you'd take care of yourself, Ma,” Matt whispered and his eyes hovered again to her cast. “Next time, try not to walk in a pool syrup again?” Annie laughed again and nodded her head.

     “Don't worry, I don't plan too”

     “Alright, let's go home”

***

     “Two weeks?” Annie said in shock as Matt looked at her worriedly. Her mouth was gaped wide open at him.

     “Matt, I slipped on a puddle of syrup. I did not get into a car accident or get shot at, I slipped—”

     “—And now you have a broken arm and a bandage over your head. You need to heal, Ma” Matt ordered, watching her with his warm brown eyes.

      “And besides, doctors orders” Matt said, head nodding towards her broken arm.

     Annie sighed with nose flaring. “Fine” she shrugged, her shoulders lowered.

     As much as Annie would like to continue working, there was nothing much she could do anyways with one good arm. Being a cook at the diner, she knew if she continued to work with a limp arm she would end up in either of two ways; set herself on fire or set the establishment on fire.

     “But—” Annie was cut short when they both heard the doorbell, Matt stood up grunting as he walked towards the door, wondering who the hell would still come to there apartment at this time at night.

***

     Teddy shuffled from where he stood with his heart hammering on his chest. He suddenly felt the dark mahogany door was judging him. His hands began to tremble and his body froze to his foot steps.

     Why was he acting like this? He felt like a teenager all over again. Teddy thought of running but it was too late, he knocked already and heard footsteps come.

     No turning back now.

***

A/N: Enjoyed this chapter? Please feel free to comment or vote! They are greatly appreciated! Teddy would really be thankful! Love you! 😘Ciao!