Chapter 14

Mom texted me with her wedding details on Thursday night.

I was pulling out of the school parking lot that Friday. I picked up my phone and dialed my mom's phone number. "Hello?"

"Hey, Mom." I grabbed the wheel with my one free hand and held my phone with the other.

"Hey, Tess. What's up?"

"Well, I was just wondering, what kind of dress code do you have for tonight?" I asked sheepishly.

"Oh, nothing fancy. Jeans and a shirt." Mom answered carelessly.

"Okay. Thanks Mom. I'll see you later."

"See ya!" I hung up the phone. I heard a honk. I looked out my window and saw D.J.'s jeep and D.J. motioning for me to pull over. I smiled and pulled over to the side of the road. I rolled down my window and D.J. got out and walked up to my car.

"Am I under arrest?" I asked jokingly.

"Of course you are. Driving while on a cell phone. Not ok." D.J. shook his head at me.

I laughed.

"So," he asked. "What time is your mom's wedding?"

"Five." I answered. "Why?"

"Well, I was being polite before I asked you what time you thought you'd be done." D.J. smirked.

"I have no idea." I admitted. "It shouldn't be any later than nine I would think."

"Okay," D.J. said. He leaned farther in my window. D.J. kissed me and backed up. "I'll see you later." D.J. winked and got back in his car. I took the car out of park and finished driving home.

I got out and went inside. Dad wasn't home. I saw a note on the kitchen table.

T-

Went into town. Have a customer.Have fun at the wedding. I can't be home for dinner. Just figure something out.

-Dad

Well, at least he left a note. I walked into my room and checked the time. 3:39. I threw on a pair of jeans and looked for a shirt. I sat there in my bra looking through my closet. I sat back on my bed and rubbed my eyes. I had been up most of the night thinking about Seth. I had to end whatever we had. I stood back up and grabbed a black silky short sleeved shirt. I yanked it over my head. Then I threw my hair up in a ponytail. I checked the clock again. 4:02. I went into the kitchen and warmed up the leftover coffee from that morning. I poured it into a mug and started out the door. I grabbed my shoes and walked out the door. I turned on the car and looked at the time. 4:16. I backed out of the driveway and started driving towards the courthouse. I got to the courthouse right on time.

I walked into the courthouse and followed the directions to a room my mom had sent me. I walked into the room and shut the door behind me. "Tessa!" My mom exclaimed. I walked up and gave her a hug.

"Hey, Mom." I looked around the room. My mom's boyfriend, Freddy was standing on the other side of the small office with Adam... and Seth.

Mom looked at me and frowned. "You know, I know you like this other guy, but maybe you don't have to tell him." Mom suggested.

I shook my head. "No, Mom. I need to, but don't worry I won't until later."

"Okay. Fine."

"Hey it's five." I said pointing to the clock behind her.

I walked with her over to the Justice of the Peace. Freddy and the boys walked over and joined us. "We gather here today to join this man and this woman in holy..." I looked over at Seth. He was staring at me. I tried to look anywhere else. Finally I settled on looking at the floor beside Mom's feet. I was happy I was out of her line of sight. I couldn't pay attention. I felt like I was under pressure. "Do you take Freddy? In sickness and health, for richer or poorer..." I look at Seth. He was still looking at me. He flashed me a smile. I couldn't help smiling back. I fiddled with the bottom of my shirt and looked back at the Justice.