Chapter 6

I got Alex's text message after D.J. and I got in the car. 'Hey saw you take off with Sweatpants. Have fun ;) I'm catching a ride with Cole.' I smiled. Sweatpants.

It was almost four in the morning when D.J. and I got back to the parking lot. There were only a couple kids left in the parking lot. D.J. pulled his jeep up next to my car and let me hop out.

I walked around to the drivers side door and leaned on it. "I don't do this you know."

D.J. looked confused. "Do what?"

I motioned to him with my hand. "All of this. I really don't. I don't know what you want but I'm no Shelly."

D.J. looked deep in my eyes. "Tennessa, if I wanted a Shelly I could have had Shelly." With that he started up his jeep and pulled out.

*****************

I woke up and Saturday at almost two in the afternoon. I walked out of my bedroom into the kitchen. I pored a bowl of Wheaties and walked into the living room. I didn't see my Dad anywhere. He was probably out with some buddies. I plopped down on the couch and turned on the television. Army Wives reruns were on. I was sitting on the couch through almost half and episode when I noticed an absence at my side.

I looked down. My dog, Boots, was nowhere to be found. I set my cereal on the coffee table and got up to look for her. "Boots?" I called out. I walked back into my bedroom to check my bed.

I heard the patter of little dog nails on the kitchen floor. I walked into the kitchen and she wasn't there. Finally I just gave up and walked back into the living room. Sitting on the coffee table was my dog, eating my cereal. "Boots!" I yelled. It didn't even phase her.

I ran up and swatted her on the head. "No Boots!" I yelled. Boots jumped off of the coffee table into a pile of old ESPN magazines on the floor, knocking them all over the floor. "Dang it, Boots!"

My frustrated yelling scared her even more as she ran into my bedroom. "Boots?" I called. "Come here, baby. I'm sorry. You just can't get into people's food like that." I walked over to pick her up and she ran away. When she tried to jump away from me, her little foot caught the cord on my TV and caused it to come crashing behind her.

The television landed on its screen. It had a noisy landing.

Just then I heard the doorbell. Seriously. Whoever it was had the worst timing. "Coming!" I yelled from my bedroom.

I ran from my bedroom to the front door. I yanked it open.

My visitor smirked down at me. I thought about the sight he saw. I was still in my shorts and T-shirt I had worn to bed. I was barefoot and my hair was up in a bun with strands wisping out. I was a mess.

"Um, hi. What are you doing here?" I asked.

D.J. put his hands in his pockets and looked at me. "I heard yelling. I was just making sure everybody was okay."

"Oh." I blushed. "Yeah, my dog knocked over some stuff."

"Something sounded heavy." D.J. observed.

"Yeah she kinda knocked over my TV." I blushed.

"How big is this dog?" D.J. asked.

Boots decided that just then was an appropriate moment to come barking at the door. "Aw." D.J. said sarcastically bending down to pet my yorkie's head. "You look super vicious. How is poor Tennessa supposed to handle being with you all by herself?"

Boots growled at him. I smiled. "She doesn't like men." I explained.

"Well, sorry to hear that, Boots." D.J. said addressing my dog. "I have a feeling that we're going to be spending a lot of time together."

I laughed at the two of them. They made a cute team.

"Hey," D.J. turned to me. "Would you like some help getting that TV back where it goes?"

"Actually, yeah." I said taken by surprise. I moved out of the way and let him walk in.

D.J. stepped in the doorway and stood waiting for me to show him the way. I noticed my cereal bowl on the coffee table and ran to pick it up. I grabbed my bowl and led him into the kitchen. I carelessly threw my bowl in the sink and led him to my bedroom.

My bed wasn't made and there were some dirty clothes on the floor. It wasn't that messy but I felt kind of embarrassed when he walked in. "Just ignore the mess." I motioned.

D.J. looked around. "What mess? The awfully slept in bed or the lacy black panties that I've already seen?"

I laughed. I walked over to the corner where my TV was sitting facedown. D.J. looked down at it and bent down to pick it up. He lifted it back onto my TV stand and set it down.

I looked at the corner of the television. It was cracked. "Dang it, Boots." I mumbled fingering the break.

D.J. leaned back and looked at the broken plastic. "It'll be fine. It should still work."

"That's not what I'm worried about." I huffed. "My dad's gonna kill me."

D.J. had a weird look on his face. "How mad does he get?"

"No terribly mad. Just a little angry." I told him.

"Come have breakfast with me." D.J. told me. Not asked me. He told me.

"Okay.." I said flustered. "Just let me get dressed."

D.J. walked out of my room and shut the door. I threw on a hot pink tank top and a pair of jeans. I took my hair out of my bun and shook it down. My blonde hair fell down in waves. I wrapped my ponytail holder on my wrist and walked out the door.

D.J. gave me a up down and nodded. We walked out to the driveway. D.J. had just been walking down the street so we hopped in my car.

"Where to?" I asked.

"The park." D.J. answered rolling down the window.

"The park?" I questioned.

He nodded "Yeah."