07 Kiss and Make-up

After Hodge's revelation, it only took Clary and I one glance at each other to know that we had to get out of here, do something. We speed-walked towards the exit together, only to be followed by Jace who called after us.

"Sarah! Clary! Just..." he stammered "Will you please just calm down?"

"Calm down?!" I raised my voice a bit "Really, calm down?" I was mad. Suddenly, all of the anger and disappointment I had felt tonight rose in my chest and I was breathing heavily. I felt overwhelmed by what I had learned. My boyfriend had spent the last year or so lying to me because the woman who raised me had lied to us our entire lives and used to be a part of some group made of dangerous Shadowhunters.

"Okay, Jace, you might be some kind of emotionless G.I Joe, but..." Clary said which got my attention again.

"What's a G.I Joe?" Jace asked, confused about the mundane term.

"A soldier who doesn't understand human emotions, who doesn't know what it's like to lose someone, to lose your own mother" Clary explained and a pained expression appeared on my face and Jace's.

"Clary..." I softly sighed as I remembered a certain conversation one night with Jace.

"Are you okay?" he asked as we were both sitting on my bed. Clary was at Simon's and Jocelyn had left with Dot to have a drink or something which meant the perfect occasion to have Jace over. Or at least it had seemed like a good idea a few days before but now I wasn't feeling very well.

"Yeah, I just.... There's something I need to tell you" I said looking over at him and repositioning myself so that I faced him. He nodded in encouragement and stayed silent so that I could continue. "I guess you realized that I never called Jocelyn mom?" He nodded again. "Well I'll tell you about my real mother. I come from a family of 4 children. I was the youngest. And, I mean, we were happy. My mother was the most loving person" I took a big breath before I kept going. "Then, one day, I was spending the night at a friend's house when Jocelyn came and picked me up. She looked horrified and distraught. I found out a few hours later that..." A tear fell on my cheek. "There had been a fire" My voice cracked "And they hadn't had time to get out. I lost my entire family in that fire and just like that, I was the only Hale..." I trailed and cried softly. Jace took me in his arms and kissed my temple softly soothing me down. After a few minutes I had calmed down I pulled back to look at him. He used the pad of his thumb to dry my cheek. "I'm sorry" I muttered lamely.

"It's fine" he smiled softly. "Truth is.... I understand." I looked up at him. "My mother died when I was born. I never knew her" he shrugged slightly.

"I'm so sorry" I gasped softly.

"Hey, no more sorrys" he said. "It's fine" he smiled before leaning in a bit so that his forehead was against mine. "Thank you for telling me" he breathed before closing the gap between us, capturing my lips with his.

"You're right. I never knew my mother" Jace simply stated but I could feel he was hurt.

"I didn't..." Clary stammered "I didn't know"

"That's precisely my point. You don't know anything about this. You don't know about me, you don't know about my life..." Jace sighed "but in the Shadow World, no training and no plan gets you killed." He explained. I looked towards Clary and she had calmed down a bit and she leaned against the wall and ran a hand through her hair. I stood across from her in a similar position.

"Okay, so we know that Valentine is back and wants the Cup, and for some reason he thinks Jocelyn has it." I summarized out loud.

"Could she? Have the Cup?" Jace pressed looking between the two of us. I looked at Clary who slightly shook her head telling me she didn't know and I did as well so that she understood I didn't know either.

"We don't know." She sighed.

"Look, girls, you know about runes. You've drawn them. You... you know something. Think, please."

"We've tried, Jace, okay? And I don't know about Clary but to me it's just this empty blackness." And Clary made a noise of agreement.

"Your memory's been wiped." Jace sighed annoyingly

"That's not possible." Clary claimed, shocked.

"Is it?" I asked warily as I saw Jace's face

"Absolutely... if you know a warlock." He confirmed and we both looked at him confusingly. "Immortal beings, they're half-demon, half-human. Sometimes their fingers spark."

"Dot, Jocelyn's assistant, her hands had this purple glow when she opened the wall and she pushed us through and we ended up at the police station." I realized out loud.

"That was a Portal. Dot must have been a warlock. Only warlocks can create them." Jace explained and it started to make some sense, or at least it felt like it was.

"Wait, so you're saying if we find the real Dot, she could help us find the Cup and get my mom back?" Clary asked expectantly

"Unless she's working for Valentine." Jace cut her off

"Even better. She'll lead us right to him." I blankly stated.

"Where's Simon?" Clary asked after she gave me a look and she started to leave making her way inside the institute. I was about to follow her when Jace softly grabbed my wrist. I turned around and looked at him harshly, wondering what he wanted.

"Look... About everything I didn't say.... I'm just..." he stumbled upon his words. He looked guilty and regretful and my gaze softened.

"I know." I said.

"It's just, she asked me not to say anything, said it was to protect you and...." I could tell that he struggled with his apology and I took his face in my hands to have him look at me properly.

"It's fine. I get it." I smiled before getting on my tiptoes and pressing a soft kiss on his lips. "But do it again and you'll regret it" I joked and he chuckled. His hands dropped to my waist and he pulled me closer.

"Duly noted" he whispered before he dipped his head slightly to meet my lips with his. My hand went to the back of his neck. We kissed for a few minutes before I pulled back for breath. I looked at him like an idiot. I took a step back a grinned at him before making my wait in the Institute.

"You coming?" I teased and Jace shook his head smiling before following.