Prologue

"PERCY JACKSON!" Poseidon announced. The name echoed around the chamber. All talking died down. The room was silent except for the crackle of the hearth fire. Everyone's eyes were on Percy- all the gods, the demigods, the Cyclopes, the spirits. He walked into the middle of the throne room. Percy bowed to the gods. "Rise, my son," Poseidon said.  Percy stood. "A great hero must be rewarded," Poseidon said. "Is there anyone here who would deny that my son is deserving?" No gods protested. "The Council agrees," Zeus said. "Percy Jackson, you will have one gift from the gods. "Any gift?" Percy asked. Zeus nodded grimly. "I know what you will ask. The greatest gift of all. Yes, if you want it, it shall be yours. The gods have not bestowed this gift on a mortal hero in centuries, but, Perseus Jackson- if you wish it- you shall be made a god. Immortal. Undying. You shall serve as your father's lieutenant for all time." Percy looked at him in shock. "A god?" Zeus rolled his eyes. "A dimwitted god, apparently. But yes. With the consensus of the Council, I can make you immortal. Then I will have to put up with you forever." The gods murmured in agreement. Percy looked around. "Well, Percy Jackson? Have you made your decision?" Ares asked impatiently. Percy then took a deep breath and said, "I accept."