What happened when Kilbis contacted me

The next day I slept in. When I woke up both my mother and Michael were gone. All I had was a note from my mom about how she had gone out for groceries.

I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a bowl of cereal. I sat down on the couch to eat and pulled out my phone. 4 missed calls from Avi and 2 from my EX bff. Also a twitter notification which was weird because barely anyone followed me on twitter.

I opened the app and checked who it was from.

It was a response from my latest tweet:

"Sorry to hear that Charlie. We have just the right thing for you. Check your DM"

It was from a company that I had never heard of called Kilbis.

I opened my DM and saw what they said:

"Hello Charlie, sad to hear about your ex boyfriend, but we have the perfect opportunity for you. It allows you to travel for free and meet super hot guys and girls! Just send us your email and we can get you all set up. -Kilbis community team"

"This is a bunch of bs" I said aloud.

I immediately thought it was just spam so I actually ignored it and continued watching tv.

When my mother came home she made me help her unload the groceries.

"Anything special happen while I was gone?" She asked as she put the milk in the fridge.

"Not really.... oh yeah actually I got a weird twitter message." I told her as I stacked the canned green beans in the cupboard.

"From who?"

"A company called Kilbis."

"Never heard of them. What did they say?" She asked.

"They offered me some kind of opportunity where I could travel and meet hot guys and girls. But it's spam."

"That sounds perfect!"

"It's spam mom."

"How would you know?"

"Because that kind of stuff never happens." I told her.

"No, stop being so selfish. Just tell them your email and see what happens. If it's junk then so whatever, but I don't want you missing out on such a nice opportunity."

"Whatever. Sure I'll do it."

I sat down at the bar and pulled my phone out. I gave them my email and about 5 minutes later they sent me something:

"Nice to hear from you again Charlie, We can't wait to share this perfect opportunity with you! Basically, we run a company where rich men and women can hire our employees to go on all expense paid vacations or just hang out with them. It's always safe because you have the right to refuse anything you're uncomfortable with and you can leave at any time. Our team has looked into your history and have accepted you into our program. All you have to do is download the Kilbis app which is linked at the bottom and sign up. Everything you do is your choice from there. Have fun!

-Kilbis community team"

I read the email aloud to my mom and she stared freaking out.

"This is absolutely perfect for you! I can't believe my baby is going to marry rich! I'm so excited!!" She screamed.

"Mom calm down its all probably fake."

"Hurry and download the app so I can see what's going on." She suddenly forgot about putting the groceries away and just focused on me.

So I pressed the link and it took me to the App Store. I downloaded the app which had no reviews at all.

Once it was downloaded I opened it and was met with a notification that said "welcome Charlie! So happy to have you on our team! Just email our customer support if you have any problems with the app."

It was really creepy that they knew my name, but I ignored it.

First I set up my account. I was told to put in multiple profile pictures and each one had to be showing something. One was just of my face and another was of my body and so on. Then I added a bio which was just about my age and where I lived and my background etc. the app told me exactly what to write in.  Then it told me that my pictures were circulation around to interested people and that I would be notified if anything happened.

It was all a bit weird to me, but my mother loved it so she made me stay on. I didn't like looking for other men right after I had broken up with Avi.

"This is just what you need." My mother said as she put the butter in the fridge.

"I don't know. I just feel like I'm rushing things." I said.

"How?" She asked.

"I just broke up with Avi."

"Why are you still talking about him? He doesn't deserve your time." She said. 

She's got a point there.

Suddenly my phone started ringing.

It was my boss.

"Shit." I mumbled.

"What?" My mother asked.

"It's Thursday. I forgot that I had work today."

I answered.

"Hello?" I faked a sick voice.

"Charlie? Are you sick?" He asked.

I plugged my nose. "Yeah, sorry I didn't call in I feel horrible. I'll probably be better by tomorrow though, don't worry."

"Oh, okay. Hope you feel better. And also, your friend, whats his name? Blond hair, brown eyes?"

"Avi?"

"Yes! He came by with flowers asking for you."

"Oh, sorry. I must have forgotten to tell him I was sick." My brain was trying to come up with excuses.

"I thought you two lived together though."

"We do, but he was out of town and must have just come back. I'm sure he will come home soon. Thanks for caring about me. Bye. See you tomorrow."

And with that, I hung up.

"Who was that?"

"My boss, just wondering when I was coming back to work."

"What did you tell him?"

"I said that I would be back tomorrow. Any chance I could borrow your car?" I asked.

"No, I'm going golfing tomorrow with Barbara and Carol."

"How am I supposed to get to work?"

"I'll call you a taxi." She said before walking away, into her room.

Sometimes I felt like even my mother didn't like me.