Chapter 24: Time Will Tell

Start from the beginning

"Roberto," I greeted with faux smile, "It's been too long."

"My Amiga," he matched my tone, "Have you been avoiding me?"

Yes. "Of course not," I didn't even bother to hide the distaste in my voice, "Who would want to avoid you?"

His body moved in one languid motion as he slunk toward me. Resisting the urge to flinch, I stayed in place as he stood directly in front of me. Once again he was sporting an all black attire, his waist-coat was made from velvet and his lapels were leather- the collar of his coat was popped, making him look a lot like a Dracula wannabe. Underneath his coat was a black silk shirt, the top buttons were left undone revealing his broad chest and gold cross necklace, I couldn't help but find his outfit rather ironic. I tried to play his game of intimidation but it was impossible. I couldn't look him in the eye, he was so tall the top of my head barely reached his shoulder.

"Hmmm, perhaps a petite blond girl who promised to show me the full extent of her unique gift," Roberto drawled. He seemed to content play my game, at least for the moment.

"Oh I'm sure she's not avoiding you. Perhaps she just found herself busy with other things."

Roberto cocked a brow, "Like a friend who recently fell victim to the plague."

"Perhaps."

He stayed silent for a fraction of a second, his coal black eyes scrutinized my every movement. I tried to remain still but under his intense gaze I felt my hands trembling. A large, Cheshire grin broke out on his face when he saw the effect he had on me- that was not good. I needed to get away from him and fast. Taking a step back, I tried to walk around him but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me close to his side. Anger boiled within me as magic simmered in my veins. My cheeks burned as I glared at my demon ancestor. He had some nerve to put his hands on me! Roberto might have been a prince but he was no mortal God, his powers were limited like every other supernatural being.

"Release me!" I ordered.

He had the audacity to laugh. It was a hollow, humorless laugh that promised I would be facing a real danger if I didn't shut up soon. "I wouldn't test me, mi amiga," Roberto held me against his chest. I hissed at the feeling of his cold, golden cross against my heated skin. "You don't want to see me when I'm angry."

He lifted his free hand in front my face and manifested a raging ball of black fire. The ebony flames swayed from side to side as if they were trying to get closer and burn my face. Where anyone else would have been screaming their head off and begging for forgiveness, I could only smirk. The black fire could take me, a 5'0" sixteen year old girl and turn me into a pile of ashes on the floor. I knew it's dangers because I was usually the person using it on someone else. Just like Roberto, I danced with the devil's flame and used it against others when it was to my advantage. It was a frightening thing to be confronted with but even more frightening to handle.

And you don't want to see me when I'm angry," I bit back. Using my free hand, I wiggled my fingers, and beckoned the ball of fire into my palm.

"Don't you remember the last time we played this game?" I asked. Shocked by my ability to handle his fire, Roberto's hold on me slackened just enough for me to step away.

"H-how?" Roberto stuttered, losing his composure for the first time since I met him.

The halls were completely empty. It was just me and him, everyone else had went to class. I let the fire burn out before placing my hand on my hip. "I told you I was a power replicator."

"Yes but not even Dark Ones can do that!" He explained.

I shrugged my shoulders, and hoped he would buy my blàse facade. "It's not like I made it on my own."