Chapter 13: Vampire Bites

Recap:

"You're unlike anyone I've ever met. On the outside you're really nothing but special but I can feel an enormous amount of power within you. And I've only felt that sort of power around a select few, the heirs to be exact. You claim to be a royal and yet a single royal could ever match an heir's power and they were our own flesh and blood. So I find myself confused by you."

My eyes widened. He could feel my power? What? No one had ever mentioned that, that was a possibility. I took a step back. The feral look on his face sent shivers down my spine. Though I hated to admit it, he scared me more as a warlock than a vampire. The power he held was undeniable and I knew I couldn't match it in a fight.

"I wonder..." He murmured.

Our eyes locked. He stared at me in a way that made me think he was trying to look into my soul. I stared back but there was no soul to be found. A sick, smirk crawled onto his face. There must have been something that he saw within me, something that confirmed his suspicion. I only wish I knew what it had been.

Raising his hand in air, he curled his fingers and his power. I stood, rooted in place as I watched a ball of black fire form in his palm. In my own hand I had seen it as a beautiful thing. It was a glossy black flame, that danced and swayed to the whim of the wind. But in his hands it was a lethal weapon. A power that solidified his place as a monster.

My mouth formed an 'o' as he drew his arm back and propelled the ball forward. I was stuck between an impossible option of dying now or dying later. As the ball increased in speed, I closed my eyes, clenched my fists and waited for something to happen to me.

Looking back on that day, I wish I would have chosen differently.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caddie's POV:

I was so afraid.

Believe it or not, I was out of my mind terrified of what could happen in the next milliseconds. I had seen what black fire could do. One second a person could be alive, with functioning organs and a working brain- the next they're just a pile of dirt on the ground. And it always happened so fast. Staring at the pile of ash, it was hard to decipher if there ever was a person there. That was something Black fire was good for. It didn't just kill someone, it completely wiped them out of existence.

Perhaps I was a bit of a hypocrite but I didn't want to die that way. 

Shutting my eyes, I wrapped my arms around my waist and forced a single coherent thought into my mind. Live. I wanted to live. A cold breeze whipped my hair around, as dark smoke cocooned my body. I didn't have any idea where I was going. As long as I was out of black fire's path of travel, I was happy. My pointy white boots, sank into a soft, grassy plain. It didn't feel much different from the spot I was standing in before. I opened my eyes, only to be met by a pair of onyx eyes.

"W-wha-" I stuttered.

My stare flickered around the landscape; I was still in the same sloping, valley of Venezuela. My subconscious moved me out of the fire's path, but only to the other side of the hill. Roberto stood in front of me, a devious smirk toyed with his lips. I hated that damn smirk. There was nothing funny about him trying to kill me. It was terrifying! If my entire life wasn't an horror movie, I probably would have quaking in my boots and begging for him to spare my life. But my life was a horror movie and I had learned one or two things from those horrific events. The most important thing I learned was, there was always going to be a victim and a monster. The second thing I learned was that, the victim barely won. It took a monster to destroy a monster.