Chapter One

-Chapter One-

"Flight 205 to Seattle, Washington now boarding. Flight leaves in 30 minutes."

That's my que. Grabbing my bags, I started towards the gate. I sent a quick text to my parents telling them that I'm safely leaving now and how I'll miss them. Stopping suddenly, I looked down at my ticket. Should I be doing this? Leaving my family on my last year of high school. Shouldn't I be cherishing my last year with my parents because I'll be headed to college soon.

As my mind rambled on, the speakers said, "Flight 205 to Seattle, Washington now boarding. The flight will leave in 10 minutes."

I guess it's now or never... I can still visit them during the holidays, right?

Gathering up my courage, I headed towards the gate.

-------------------------

Two Months Ago

I sat in the auditorium, anxiously waiting for the judges to decide on the winners.

It was mid July. The day I've been waiting for all year. A once in a lifetime chance. A couple months ago, Mr. Stevens, my photography teacher, gave me a flyer and strongly suggested to enter this contest. A photography contest funded by one of the richest, most private school in America. Harrison Academy. Winner gets a full scholarship to attend there and three hundred dollars in cash.

I knew I wouldn't get first place, but I wanted to get second: four hundred dollars, so I can finally buy a new Nikon camera.

I stared at the screen projector as it showed photos as the host announced the places. Still, mine hasn't shown up yet.

It was a picture of a baby black bear climbing a tree. I took it when my family and I went to Yellowstone Park three months ago. I'm not sure if the judges would like it, but I like it so that's why I entered that in.

"Second place for this beautiful nature photo," the host announced. Crossing my fingers, I leaned forward from my chair. "Goes to Jacob Pelton."

A burst of applause surrounded me as I sat disappointedly. A guy with blond, curly hair with glasses walked up to claim his prize.

I frowned. Did they disqualify mine?  I don't remember seeing it up there. Oh my goodness, the judges must've disliked it so much they couldn't care to have it shown on the projector.

Suddenly the projector changed from the corner of my eye into a familiar looking photo. Looking up to see the first place winner's photo, I stared wide eyed.

The photo was taken at the crack of dawn, with the sun peeking up from the corner. A pine tree was at the other end with a small black bear attempting to climb it. After moments of staring at the photo dumbfounded, I realize it's mine. I... I won!

The host taps on his mic and says, "And first place goes to this young talented girl, Arabelle Walters!"

Applause surrounded me again, louder than all of the others. I carefully walked up to the stage where the host handed me my scholarship and three hundred dollars. He then gestured me to a middle aged woman.

As I walked up to get her, I noticed she had striking blue eyes behind her glasses and shoulder length blonde hair. She wore a blazer with a knee length skirt.

"Congratulations Arabelle, I am very excited for you to attend my academy. My name's Taylor Harrison," said the woman, tilting her head slightly, flashing her pearl white teeth. I stared at her with my mouth slightly opened. This was the headmistress of Harrison Academy.

Noticing my awkward stare, Headmistress Harrison cut the silence and said, "I understand you'll be traveling far to go to my academy, so I'm sure you won't know much people. Would you like to have dinner with me and my family once you arrive? I'd love to infirm you about the academy and make you feel welcome."

Snapping out of my awestruck mind, I shut my mouth quickly and replied, "Uhh, sure. Yeah, of course, I'd love to."

As her smile widens, the headmistress grabbed a card from her clutch purse and handed it to me.

"This is my address and email. You can email me once you land in Washington," said she. Stepping closer, she engulfed me into a hug.

Laughing nervously, I answered, "Sure thing. I'm very excited."