Chap. 6 ~ The Long Ride Home

I know...I've been gone for like 3 months. Dealing with school, games, etc, sorry bout that!! But I'm on Spring Break & hopefully, I can fulfill y'all Corny/Maybelle needs!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CORNY'S POV

After playin' in the creek a little bit, May & I decided to lay down & enjoy the rest of the day we had.

We were currently layin' on the jacket I wore while I sat between her legs, my fingers tracing her smooth almond skin. She sighs as she stares out into the sky and I lay my head on her thigh.

"What happened on your side? I saw it earlier when you took your shirt off." She asks and I don't move, I just continue tracing her skin.

"Nothin, May. It was a long time ago." She drops the conversation and begins tracing my side where the scar is and invulnerability, I tense up.

She brings her hand to my head and rubs it through my hair.

I chuckle and say, "Feels good." She does that for a while and she stops suddenly.

"Somethin' on yer mind, May?" I ask, while unconsciously running my hands up and down her leg, trying to keep her warm.

"I don't know, Corny. It feels wrong -- what we're doing." She  looks around. "As if someone is watchin' us right now."

She looks at me and I can tell she's really worried about what's happening as of right now. I try and comfort her, but she ignores me and wraps her arms around her knees. I scoff loudly and sit up, placing my forearms on my knees.

"Fuck, May. I can't help ya if ya ain't tellin' me what's the matter with ya!" I run my hand through my semi-damp hair and close my eyes. I don't hear her answer for a while & I open my eyes to see her walking away with her shirt in hand. I quickly get up, grab my shirt & jacket, and run after her.

"MAY!" I yell after her, but she keeps walking. I catch up to her and yank her by her arm and spin her towards me. "STOP FUCKIN' WALKIN' AWAY FROM ME, DAMMIT!" I roar in her face and she stares at me with cold eyes. I breathe heavily and try to calm down.

"I--I'm jus tryna see what the matter is and yer not helpin' me figure it out." I search her eyes for any response, but instead, I get nothin'.

"Let go of my arm, Corny." She demands and upon noticing I still have her in my grasp, I let her go, in which she swallows and looks away.

"I don't understand; How whites can be together. Only with their kind. And we can only be with our kind. What we're doing isn't right and you know it, Corny." She looks at me with hurt in her eyes and I lick my lips, searching for an answer to tell.

"It's just right, May. We don't go against it. Blacks be with their kind & we with our. I don't like it, but I'd be damned if I let anything happen to you or your family if I intervened in askin' my daddy."

I notice she stands there, freezing, as she shivers as a gust of wind blows by. I take my jacket and put it around her arms, wrapping it securely around her frame.

She gives a small smile & looks at me. "May, we can only sneak to see each other & even that's dangerous." I grab her by her waist and bring her close to me.

She leans against me and I play with her hair. We stay like this for a couple minutes, engulfed in each other. She releases me and I walk beside her, grabbing her hand, and entwine them with mine.

"I gotta get home. It's almost late & my daddy'll wonder where I am." I nod and guide her back to her truck. I put my arm around her back and hold her close to me, never wanting this day to end.

Soon enough, we reach her truck & she leans against it. She stares at me and I find comfort in those big brown eyes. I trace her nose with my finger down to her lips and lean in, captivating hers with mine. She presses against me and I groan a little, enjoying the small, but arousing contact.

She pulls away, breaking the kiss, and traces my nose with her finger down to my lips as I did to her.

"Whenever yer in trouble and I'm not there, jus do that and I'll be with you, May." I kiss her nose and she smiles at me.

I step back from her and open her door. She gets in and goes to take my jacket off, but I stop her.

"Keep it. You can have it to remember me and this day we had." I stand in between her and the ajar door as she starts up her truck. The engine roars to life and I close her door.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Mr. Collins." She gives me a quick peck and I smirk and wink.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Ms. Stubbs." She drives off and I get in my truck, waiting a couple more minutes before starting it and driving off.

I turn on the radio to hear a baseball game and roll my windows down, enjoying the cruise ride home and fresh air. As I ride home, I can't help but think about May & what she said about us bein' together.

This gon' be a long ride home. I think. I try and rid it from my mind, but instead, it stays there. I scoff and focus on the road and baseball game as I drive home.

-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&
Hey, fellow Corny/Maybelle fans! It is currently 2:31AM here in sunny Florida & I'm about to go to sleep. 😴 But, here's chapter 6 with your favorite Hairspray couple (besides Link/Tracy & Penny/Seaweed of course!) So, lemme know what you guys think about this chap & soon, we'll explore Mickey's obsession with Maybelle & his hatred towards Corny 👀

Don't forget to like, vote, comment, & share!! Thank you!! ❤️