Forever In My Life

Start from the beginning

As far as Harry and I went, we made a pact not to give any gifts to each other. Our goal was to make this year completely about our families and I think that mission was accomplished. The memories we made last week will surely last us a lifetime. Everyone left feeling like they were glad they'd come and we made plans to come back as a family. Hearing that word describe our relatives as a whole was gift enough for me.

~*~

The sun heats my face through a window I can only assume Harry left open. I rub my eyes still trying to wake from the deep sleep I was in. We were up late last night looking at houses online and although I was excited about a couple of prospects I welcomed sleep when it came. We'd already had a long day of planning for the party we're throwing for New Years tonight.

Coincidentally, and the main reason we're throwing the party, today – New Years Eve – is our one-year anniversary. Harry and I were talking last night about how it feels like we've been together much longer than a year but chalked it up to so much happening. We've been through a lot together; we've fought for and with each other, we've made love in the physical and emotional sense, we've broken and mended our hearts, but most of all we've grown together. It's been a bumpy ride for us but we've made it to smooth sailing and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Sliding my feet into my slippers, I drag myself into the bathroom to wash my face. Looking in the mirror through clear eyes I smile. I've come a long way from the girl I was when I first moved to California. So much has changed in a year. So much growth, mentally, emotionally, even physically. I've had some scares and close calls this year but I made it through to the other side stronger than ever. I thank God every day I got the idea to move here when I did. I couldn't imagine my life being anything but this.

"Harry," I call out, singing his name like a melody.

I get no response after calling him a few times around the house. Frowning, I go back to the kitchen and see a pale pink envelope on the counter leaning against a small neatly wrapped box. My fingers tear through the envelope quickly, revealing a brief handwritten message inside.

Good morning sweetheart. Happy Anniversary. I'm sure that you've been looking for me. Please don't fret, never fear, the answers that you seek are near. Open the box and you will find your very first clue is trapped inside.

My eyes widen and my heartrate quickens. How he had time to plan a party and a scavenger hunt is beyond me but I couldn't be more excited, I've always thought these were so cute and now I get to have one of my own. This man never ceases to amaze me.

Grabbing the silver wrapped gift, I remove the pretty navy blue ribbon around it and tear into the paper. As soon as I see it I squeal. The newest iPhone rests in the wrapping paper remains looking like the holy grail. I've been doing without a phone since our third day at Big Bear after I unknowingly dropped it in the snow. By the time I found it outside it was ruined with water damage. I was lucky to have backed up my pictures on my Google Drive before the trip to make room for vacation videos, something I see Harry took full advantage of as I scroll through my new iPhone and see all of the pictures I'd previously saved. He must've woken up early as hell to set all of this up or been very sneaky this week because we've been together planning our party nearly every day.

I notice an unopened picture message - of Harry and I on the slopes last week - and the second I open it I receive another message.

My sleeping beauty is finally awake. Being apart makes my heart ache. Soon enough we'll be out of this pain. But first you must take a walk down memory lane.

I giggle at the rhymes, they're so silly but I guess that's a part of the scavenger hunt. I text back quickly, asking him what I should do. His reply is yet another rhyme.