"I'm sorry,baby,but you can't."

Adam looked at the ground sadly.

"Listen,I know you don't like this but you have to understand that I have to work so I can bring you all the pretty things you want."

"I don't want the pretty things if you're not around to use them with me."

"I will use them with you."

"No,you're just going to leave me alone like back then!"

"Back then was different."

"It's the same thing!" Adam began to cry.

"Adam,listen to me."

"I don't want to listen! I want a family not a nanny! If you want to hire a parent,then hire me a dad!"

"Adam I'm not hiring a parent!"

"Yes you are! You're hiring someone to do your job! At least the nanny would love me!"

"And who told you that I don't love you?!"

"If you love me,you'd stay with me not leave me alone and go work!"

"I'm working for you!"

"I didn't ask you to!" he shouted and then ran upstairs.

I looked at Claire who was quiet with no expression on her face.

"Claire?" I said softly.

"I'm okay." she replied quietly.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah,I just need to go out for a while." she headed to the front door.

"Where are you going?" I followed her.

"Ang,I just need some fresh air. I'll come back when I'm feeling better." she took her car keys and purse and then left.

I sighed and went to the living room.

Someone cleared their throat. I turned around and saw Kathy standing not knowing what to do or say.

"I'm sorry for what happened." she said quietly.

"It's not your fault,don't apologise."

"I don't mean to sound rude but why did Adam behave that way?" Kathy sat on the couch beside me.

"Adam is very attached to Claire."

"I've noticed."

"Yeah it's just that when Adam was born Claire didn't have a lot of financial support and she was still in college. She had to raise him all by herself until we moved in together in Los Angeles. Things got a little better but not by that much. We both had to work a lot,and move from one apartment to another. Sometimes we had to leave Adam alone all day long because we were working so we could be able to put him in school and pay the rent. Claire and I used to come back exhausted so we weren't able to be with him a lot." I started having flashbacks as I spoke. It was like hell,back then. Tiring long nights,running after people to get hired,living in bad apartments and bad streets. Everything was so hard.

"Claire missed out most of Adam's childhood and which adds up,the absence of his father. Sure Adam,never talked about this,but it effected him. He was always trying to catch his mother's attention back then. It was for this year and half when things got better. Claire is trying to make it up for Adam and catch up on his childhood. And Adam grew very attached to her and he started mentioning his father even more."

"And where is his father?"

"We don't like to talk about this subject a lot. It's better if you don't ask."