34: Theo's House

Luke pulled up to the curb in front of Theo's house, turning Pink Midnight off and giving her a thankful tap on the steering wheel.

"Do you want me to wait here?" He asked Maggie who was already staring out the van's window at the house.

Maggie's head snapped to Luke and she began shaking it vigorously. She looked scared and Luke felt bad. He had no idea what was going on with Theo, but he knew Maggie cared about him and was obviously hurting.

"Okay," Luke said, giving Maggie the most reassuring grin he could muster. "Everything's going to be okay."

Maggie nodded but it was clear she didn't believe it.

Still, she got out of the car and began walking towards the front door, Luke following behind, anxiously.

+++

Maggie sucked in a deep breath and then knocked at the front door. She prayed that there would be a family member inside other than Theo, otherwise Plan B was climbing up the drainage pipe and into Theo's bedroom window.

Fortunately, the door opened revealing a less-happy-than-normal Nancy, Theo's mother. She was still smiling, however. That hadn't changed.

Maggie smiled, despite how she was truly feeling inside. "Hey, Nancy, how are you?"

"I'm okay," Nancy replied and then reached out a hand to pat Maggie's arm, looking at her knowingly. "He's up in his room. Let's see if you can get him out."

Maggie smiled, for real this time. "Thank you," she said. Nancy nodded and Maggie raced up the stairs while Luke stayed back to talk to Theo's mother.

When Maggie reached Theo's bedroom, she knocked on the door twice before opening it. Theo never complained about not having a lock on his bedroom door, despite Maggie not understanding how he could just handle anyone being able to barge in, but in that moment she was thankful he never asked for one.

Theo was sitting on his bed, reading a book in his pyjamas. He looked up once he saw Maggie and she couldn't help but think of how adorable he looked in those glasses of his.

She gave him a small smile, not wanting to push anything too quickly. "Hey," she said.

Theo stared at her so intensely she began to feel very uncomfortable. He swallowed and Maggie watched his Adam's Apple bop up and down. She wanted to leave, the feeling of rejection hitting hard as Theo refused to say anything, but she knew this went beyond what she wanted. It was about what Theo needed and whatever was going on with him, Maggie knew he needed friends.

Maggie cleared her throat. "How are you?" She asked, knowing what the answer was going to be along the lines of but not knowing what else to say. She didn't plan this very thoroughly.

Theo continued to stare at Maggie but relief swept over her as he spoke. "Is Luke here?" He asked. It wasn't exactly what Maggie wanted to hear, but any response was better than none.

"Yeah, I can go get him now if you want," Maggie offered.

Theo scoffed and shook his head. "No thanks," he said and then began reading again.

Maggie was beyond confused and a little mad - why was Theo being so rude? This was nothing like him.

"What's wrong with Luke?" Maggie asked - practically demanded.

"Nothing," Theo replied, eyes glued to his book. "I'm sure you think so, too."

"Yeah, I do, but clearly you don't," Maggie confronted Theo.

He looked up at her again. "So, do you still like him?" He asked. Maggie was confused; why was Theo even bringing that up?

"What? No," Maggie replied, shaking her head. "What does that have to do with anything?"

Theo shook his head and once again ignored Maggie for his book.

Maggie took in a deep breath, not ready to give up on him just yet. She boldly took a seat at the end of his bed.

"So, what are you reading?" She asked. Theo held the cover up in reply and Maggie read the title. "Of Mice and Men. Is it good?"

"Better than this conversation." Theo was just being plain rude now and Maggie was fed up.

"What's wrong with you?" She snapped. "Why are you suddenly being so rude to everyone? Why are you ignoring us all? Why won't you tell us anything?"

Theo placed his book down on his bed, staring Maggie straight in the eyes - practically glaring into them. His jaw was clenched and he swallowed hard. Maggie was terrified at the sight of Theo so angry. She had never seen him like this before. Never.

"Because, Maggie," he said. "I'm sick. And my certain sickness has prevented me from liking people. Now please, leave me alone."

"What sickness?" Maggie persisted. She wasn't going down that easy. "What's wrong with you?" She repeated.

Theo sighed, still looking angry but slightly less.

"Maggie," he said, almost desperate, as if all he wanted in that moment was for her to just get out. "I have depression."