Chapter Nine

I slowly sink into my bed before I heard my laptop's notification ring.

From: Clara Hills
To: Kenna Rys

Congratulations for the publish of your novel! I believe that it would be a great way to start your career. We've chosen you work to be published and displayed at the popular bookstores worldwide. It's a pleasure to be working with you.

I froze before I could fill the room with a loud scream. "God, Kenna! What's got into you?" Ky wailed, entering my room.

"It's been published!" I screamed again, pulling her into a hug.

"What! Kenna this is huge! Let's celebrate!" Ky jumped around like a toddler before I placed my hands over her shoulders, calming her down.

"I think I'll be staying in," I smiled, pulling myself underneath the blanket.

"You're crazy," Ky rolled her eyes.

"Come on! A party won't hurt. Besides, it's my last night here before I fly off to Australia," Ky added.

"And that is why I'm staying in," I responded.

"Uh, you're boring," Ky groaned.

"Ky, don't you want to spend our last night together in a more meaningful way?" I raised an eyebrow.

"OK, what?"

I smirked and pulled out a 3 hour CD of our childhood videos which grandmother and grandfather had recorded us, growing up.

"Fine," Ky giggled, snuggling up beside me.

Everything in life is transitory, my love, it's just that somethings last longer than others. Every emotion is fleeting, every thought gives way to a new one. It isn't a reason to despair, but one to rejoice. If you were to make a necklace of beads you'd choose the prettiest for your string, and such is life also. Make your moments happy so that they come together to form something wonderful and unique that is your time under the sun. I wrapped an arm around Ky's shoulder.

"You know I'm proud of you," I said.

A smile appeared on her lips. A smile so rare.

"And you know I'm proud of you too," Ky said, resting her head on my shoulder.

After the death of our parents a year ago, things were different. It felt as if my responsibilities were heavier, knowing that I had to take care of my only sister, Ky. The thought of them runs through my mind almost everyday. Of course, I would only be lying if I said that I didn't miss them at all. They were distant from the beginning but they were still my parents. I knew they loved Ky and I. But, they loved each other even more. They died together in a car crash, heading towards the Italian restaurant they always visit on their anniversary. The last thing they told me was that they were proud of me, upon my achievements. And of course, their words meant a lot.

"Promise me you'll call," Ky said, adjusting her blouse.

"I will, I promise," I replied.

"Yeah right, after losing you old phone, I don't trust that you stay 100% in touch," Ky teased.

After my trip to Paris, I carelessly left my phone in the taxi, on the way back home. It was probably the stupid-est thing I've done.

"Ky..." I grabbed her wrist, stopping her at the corner.

I pulled her into a tight hug before a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Jesus Kenna, you're like mum," she laughed, before tears filled her eyes. She pulled me into another hug.

"I will miss you like crazy," she says.

"I will miss you too."

And soon, I witnessed my sister walking away, waving at me. Soon, she was no where to be seen and all I could see was her air plane taking off. I folded my arms as I slowly walked out of the hall. I've never felt more emptier than how I am now. I was alone and for whatever reason, I wanted to know what I was missing.

"The place here is great! The apartment is cosy and I've actually put our picture up here," Ky said, waving her phone towards the wall in her apartment.

"I see that. It seems to fit perfectly on that wall. Have you had your dinner?" I asked.

"Oh not yet. I'll be joining my new friends in a bit," Ky replied.

"Well then shouldn't you continue unloading your stuffs from the truck?"

"Ah, no worries. Zachary's helping me with that," Ky smiled widely, pointing her camera towards a tall man with glasses.

"Ah you must be Ky's elder sister. I'm Zachary and I think Ky is amazing," Zachary greeted me politely.

"You didn't tell me!" I exclaimed, as soon as Zachary left the sight.

"Quiet! He's not too far away. I didn't say anything yet because I'm just getting to know him," Ky rolled her eyes.

I remained silent, remembering how fun 'getting to know' someone felt.

"You're still thinking about him aren't you?" Ky raised an eyebrow.

"Not at all," I lied.

"Come on, try again. You might find him," Ky suggested.

"No, Ky. I can't anymore. It's been two years and searching him through the internet doesn't work. It's pointless," I sighed.

Ky noticed that I was upset. I've tried many ways to find Antoine. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, you name it. Yet, I couldn't find him. It has been two years. He must've been successful with his business. And probably, he's already met someone special or have even settled down with a beautiful family.

"Kenna, I have to go. Just promise me you'll sleep well tonight," Ky said.

"Yeah, I will-"

"And Kenna? Maybe it's enough that you search for your love. Maybe it's time your love search for you. Goodnight," Ky added, before ending the Skype session we were having.

I proceeded to turn my lights out before I laid on my back, with my eyes wide open.

This was hopeless.