chapter five :: howbow dah

THAT SMIRK O M Y G OD
I PUBLISHED A NEW STORY TOO GO READ IF YOU WANT

--

"CJ," Jenna knocked on CJ's bedroom door before opening it. "I know you're trying to sleep, but Tyler and I are gonna go get a Christmas tree. Do you wanna come?"

"No," CJ covered her face up with her blanket. "I don't wanna watch you and Tyler kiss every two seconds."

"Josh is coming too." Jenna mentioned.

CJ was quiet for a few seconds before answering. "So I won't be a third wheel?"

"No," Jenna replied. "You and Josh can cuddle the whole time."

CJ sat up from her blankets. "What?"

"You think me and Tyler didn't catch you guys spooning the other night?"

CJ rolled her eyes and laid back down. "Why did I want to be your roommate?"

"Oh come on," Jenna started. "It was cute. You were all cuddled up into his chest and he had his arms around you.. somebody was touching you and you weren't freaking out."

CJ didn't reply.

"Well we're leaving in a few minutes, so I'd hurry up and get ready if you really wanna go." Jenna said before closing her door.

CJ got up and quickly pulled on a pair of tights, followed by a sweatshirt that was layered over her pajama shirt. She shoved her phone in her pocket, then her keys. 

"Ready?" Jenna asked as she saw CJ exit her room. CJ nodded as she shoved her hands in her pockets, avoiding eye contact with Josh.

The four made their way outside and into the car. Tyler was driving, so Jenna was in the passenger seat. This left Josh and CJ in the back together.

"So," Tyler started as he glanced at the two from his mirror. "Are you guys gonna cuddle again?"

CJ looked over at Josh, waiting for him to answer.

"We were asleep," Josh rolled his eyes. "It's really hard not to touch someone when you're sleeping in the same bed as them."

"People who hardly know each other don't sleep in the same bed." Tyler sassed.

"Real friends don't leave you to diddle their girlfriends."

CJ looked down and giggled, putting her hand up to her mouth.

Josh looked over at her, feeling proud of himself. Jenna mentioned something about how CJ was overly shy and did not like to do anything in front of somebody she did not know, so hearing her laugh with two strangers in the car gave him great satisfaction.

"Tell your roommate to be nice." Tyler looked over at Jenna and teased.

That is when CJ broke. No, she did not start crying or hyperventilating, but she went quiet. She twiddled her thumbs in her lap and she tried to regulate her breathing.

"You're doing good." Josh whispered as he began rubbing her back with one hand.

Jenna looked at Josh and CJ, immediately knowing how good Josh was for her.

"So we're getting an actually tree?" Josh asked.

"Mhm," Tyler nodded. "I'm sick of having a Charlie Brown twig."

"That twig," Josh sassed. "Is iconic."

"I think I'll like a real tree," Josh nodded. "It's like when we were kids."

Instead of joining in on the conversation, CJ simply looked out of the window. She had bad memories of Christmas day from her childhood, and she really did not want to remember those words that were said and the poor choices she made.

Once they got to the Christmas tree farm, Jenna and Tyler were the ones looking for the tree. Jenna had better Christmases, so she knew what tree would be good. Tyler would also help her.

Josh and CJ wandered around the gift shop, looking at the various novelty items they sold.

"Look at this," Josh took a tree decoration from the rack. "They have emojis." The particular one that he had was the nail painting one.

"How do people even do this?" CJ asked. "Christmas isn't about emojis or the media."

"It's what sells so," Josh shrugged. "We should look for Christmas presents."

CJ shoved her hands in her pockets self consciously, rubbing her nails on the inside of her palms. "I literally don't talk to anybody, so I have no idea what to get anybody. Jenna's usually satisfied with a good candle."

"That's something you get for your dad's girlfriend that you hate."

CJ laughed at the comparison, nodding her head in agreement. "That's true. Just get that for anybody that you don't know or particularly like."

"Wow," Josh's eyes scanned the shelves. "Cash me under the mistletoe, howbow dat?"

"You wish."

Josh laughed. I really do, he thought. He knew he had just met her and only knew her for about two months, but he felt something as if something about her was just so.. distant. Not like she was out of it, but the way she held herself was so particular. She had an order. She was cautious about everything, and Josh wanted to change that order and incorporate himself into it.

Josh picked a necklace that resembled Christmas lights and took it to the register, paying the two dollars for it.

"Merry Christmas." Josh pulled it from his pocket when the car stopped to let Jenna and CJ out to their apartment complex, pressing the small button on the clamp that made it light up.

"Aw," CJ cooed. "Thank you. I love it."

Just as she was about to give him a hug, she glanced forward and saw Jenna staring at her through the mirror.

CJ looked down and cleared her throat, shoving the necklace in her pocket. "I um," she squeezed her eyes shut. It was as soon as she knew that she was the center of attention, she suddenly couldn't speak. "I'm gonna get inside. I'm pretty cold."

When she finally looked back up, her and Josh were pretty close. She could even smell his cologne. Her breath caught in her throat as her eyes fixated on his.

"Bye." She whispered. It was a solid ten seconds of gazing at Josh before she finally got out.

When she got into her bedroom, she took a thumbtack from her desk and stuck it into the wall. Then, she draped the necklace over it.

That way she would have a constant reminder of his company.