Chapter twenty-four

"Thanks for letting me stay with you," I say genuinely.

"It's no big deal," Eric says nonchalantly.

After getting in my car and realizing I didn't know where to go, I started to feel pretty hopeless. So I decided to go to the drive-thru Dunkin Donuts because donuts always make me feel a little better and I happened to see Eric in the car behind me. We ended up pulling into parking spaces and talking about everything that happened today.

After confiding in Eric, he offered that I could stay the night at his house. He was going home for the weekend and said I could stay in one of his guest rooms.

I followed Eric as we drove to his house. Driving through his neighborhood, it is very evident that he lives in a wealthy town. The houses are larger, each with a large gate and attendant guarding it to make sure no unwanted guests get in.

Eric drives his car up to the gate and the attendant nods his head, letting us through. We both park our cars and walk inside Eric's house.

I'm not sure how long I stand in his doorway, gaping at everything in awe, but it must have been a while because Eric coughs awkwardly, letting me know that I've been standing there for too long.

"Sorry," I mumble sheepishly.

"It's fine," Eric chuckles. "C'mon, I'll show you to the guest room."

We walk through multiple hallways and staircases. Honestly, I have no idea how anyone could navigate through here; it's like a big maze.

After about five minutes of walking through different areas of his mansion, (I feel like the word house just doesn't give it justice) Eric opens up a door to what I'm assuming is the guest room I'll be staying in.

"It's beautiful." The walls are covered in murals and everything looks so elegant and put in the right place. I feel like I'm staying inside of a work of art.

"My mom has an eye for this kind of stuff" Eric responds. "She's an interior designer."

"Well clearly she's good at her job" I reply, still in awe of the room.

I sit down on the bed. "Oh my gosh, this is the most comfortable bed I have ever had the pleasure of putting my butt on."

Eric's laughter fills the room, making me laugh as well. It feels good to laugh. I feel like I haven't done that for a while.

Once we both settle down, a serious look passes over his face. "Avery, I know you're going through a lot right now, but you need to know that Cameron really wanted to tell you."

"You knew too?" I ask him, the surprise obvious in my voice.

"I didn't know the specifics, but I knew that Cameron was conflicted about something and was frustrated that he couldn't tell you," Eric admits. "Look, Avery, I know you're hurt, but Cameron has a good reason why he didn't tell you. It's a very complicated situation and it's not my place to tell you, but just know that he really  wanted to tell you."

"I believe you," I breathe out.

"You know, he really likes you, not just as his fake girlfriend," Eric comments as he's walking out the door.

"Wait, you knew about that too?" I ask him in disbelief.

"Goodnight, Avery," Eric says in a singsong voice while closing the door.

Sighing, I grab the shorts and sweatshirt I happened to have in the back of my car and change into them. After rinsing my face and brushing my teeth with the spare toothbrush Eric gave me, I settle into the soft bed and try to clear my mind of all the clutter and drama from these past couple of hours.