Chapter ten

I hate Mondays for many reasons.

One: It's Monday.

Two: There are four more days until it's the weekend.

Three: I have marine biology which means I have to see Adam.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the class. I find it to be really interesting and fascinating, but somehow, my stupid brother manages to suck the happiness out of it.

Like usual, I get to class about ten minutes early so I have time to get comfortable and review my notes. With about two minutes to spare, Adam and his friends, Tyler and Kevin, waltz into the room. Adam and I make eye contact for a brief second, but I look away before it can get any longer. I have no intention in speaking to him. In fact, if I could ignore him for the rest of my life, I would. I just don't think my parents will let that happen.

Class goes by pretty quickly. Our professor reminds us of our midterm, which is in a couple of weeks and also mentions our upcoming trip to the aquarium. I pack up my belongings and start to head to the food court when I hear my name being called.

I freeze for a second to look over my shoulder. Of course it's Adam.

Not wanting to deal with whatever hurtful or stupid comment he's probably going to say, I continue walking, hoping he'll get the hint that I don't want to talk to him.

He didn't.

"Avery, can we talk?"

"I have nothing to say to you," I say monotonously and continue walking.

"Avery, I mean it. I really need to talk to you," Adam says, putting his hands on my shoulder, prohibiting me from moving.

"How can I help you?" I ask bitterly.

"I saw you at the game on Saturday," Adam comments.

"So?"

"So, you never come to my games. I was surprised."

"I was with Cameron's family.  His younger brother wanted to go."

"I saw," he says in an irritated tone. "I just feel bad for you, that's all."

"Why would you feel bad for me?" I ask his sarcastically. "I mean, other than because you're my brother."

"I feel bad because he's only dating you to get to me. It's obvious he has no feelings for you at all. I mean why would he? " Adam says smugly, a sinister smile forming on his face.

"Are you really that full of yourself that you think my relationship is all about you?" I ask him incredulously. I mean, it kind of is, but he doesn't need to know that. "Get over yourself."

"What's going on here?"

Adam and I turn our heads and see Cameron, Eric and Dan approaching us, none of them looking too happy.

"I was just giving some brotherly advice," Adam says in a singsong voice. He starts to walk away. "Don't forget what I told you, Avery."

"You're wrong," I tell him firmly.

"And don't coming crying to me when you're hurt in the end because I won't be too friendly."

"When have you ever been?"

I let out a frustrated sigh, but put on a fake smile when I see Cameron, Eric and Dan looking at me with concern. "Anyone want to go get lunch?"

Hailie ended up meeting us for lunch. I quickly filled her in on what happened with Adam and then changed the subject, not wanting to dwell on it. In the beginning, they all kept asking me if I was okay and I would tell them that I'm fine and don't want to talk about it. Knowing that I'm not up for a discussion, they all drop the topic, but Cameron doesn't seem to be too convinced.

After the somewhat shaky start to lunch, our conversation became lighter. Eric talked about how he went home for family weekend and spent time with his five-year-old sister. Dan went surfing with his cousins. It was nice getting to hear more about Eric and Dan's lives; it's nice to no longer think of them as strangers, but more as friends.

After lunch, we all go our separate ways. Hailie walked back to the dorms with Eric and Dan. I told them that I was going to the library to do some work when in reality I just wanted to be alone for a little.

"So are you going to tell me what happened between you and Adam or am I going to have to guess?" Cameron says with a serious look on his face. "I also know that you're not planning to go to the library."

"How do you know that?" I ask him, shocked.

"I know you already finished your homework for the day," he says matter- of-factly.

"Maybe I want to get ahead for the next class," I retort.

"I bet you already did that homework too," Cameron says knowingly.

"Maybe I want to start next week's."

"Avery, what did he say?" Cameron says calmly, almost desperately.

"He said you're only dating me to get to him," I tell him.

He's silent for a minute. "How did you respond?"

"I told him that he was wrong and that not everything revolves around him," I answer truthfully. I didn't feel the need to tell him everything he said.

Cameron visibly relaxes. "Believe me, the only one who will be upset in the end is him."

"What did he do to you?" I question. "What could he have done to make you hate him so much?"

"What did he do to you?" Cameron retorts bitterly, surprising me. "I think you know better than anyone that Adam knows how to make an enemy or two."

He has a point. For years, I've been surrounded by people who adored Adam. In high school, he was the king of the school. Everyone wanted to be his friend or somehow get on his good side. It's still like that in college for the most part. He's the star player on the soccer team; everyone wants to spend time with him. The difference is this time; I'm not Adam's only enemy.

After that Cameron and I just walk around campus. We don't say much, but we don't feel the need to. The silence is kind of nice. It feels nice to get lost in my thoughts and not feel the need to fill the silence with rambling. About an hour later, we end up in front of my dorm building. Cameron lives in a different building a couple minutes away. He was planning on walking me upstairs, but I told him that was a waste of energy. Why climb stairs if you don't need to?

"So I think we should go on a date this Friday?" Cameron states.

"And what if I think differently?" I respond playfully.

Cameron smirks. "Please, I know you've been waiting for this date for awhile now."

My stomach starts to feel all warm and fuzzy and I can't stop the blush that forms on my face.

"I'll see you at five on Friday," Cameron says cheekily as he starts to walk to his dorm.

In three days, I'm going on a date what Cameron Owen's.

I can already tell Hailie's going to have fun picking me out an outfit.