Chapter one

"Look at us!" Hailie exclaims as we continue across the quad. "We're no longer the scared incoming freshman trying to find who to hang out with and who we want to be on campus! We're older and more sophisticated."

"Hailie, we're sophomores." I say with a deadpanned expression on my face.

"It's still better than being freshman" she replies while jokingly sticking her tongue out at me. Hailie is my best friend, and basically my only friend on campus. We lived on the same freshman hall last year and also had introduction to sociology together. On our first day of class she tried to start a conversation with me, but I was too shy and just sort of stared at her. Halfway through our conversation, if you could even call one person talking while the other just sort of nodded their head uncomfortably a conversation, she stopped what she was saying, paused for a second and then said, "I like you. I think we're going to be friends for a long time." We've been best friends ever since.

I can't control the easy laugh that comes to my face. Before I can respond, I'm struck with what feels like the worlds hardest object on the back of my head and I find myself falling face down in the grass. As I come to my senses and start to pull myself up off the ground I hear the insufferable laugh I have come to know too well.

I look to up to see Adam jogging over to Haile and I while his friends remain where they were on the quad and continue to laugh at my expense. It looks like they were playing one of their "famous" pick-up games. On days when they don't have soccer games, my brother and some of his teammates will come out to the quad and play some scrimmages. Of course they all somehow manage to lose their shirts in these scrimmages and girls come by drool over them as they play.

"Of all the places on campus for you to be, you had to come here?" he asks incredulously.

Our dad attended and worked at the University of Southern California, which gave Adam and I a free ride that would have been stupid to turn down. In high school, Adam focused most of his time on sports and girls. He was given a spot on USC's soccer team and he jumped at the opportunity to take it. I on the other hand, devoted most of my time to volunteer work and was reached out to by USC because of my work and grades. We both were over joyed about the opportunity to go to this school. There was only one problem: it meant going to school together for another four years. USC is a pretty big school so we figured we could both go here and not run into each other, but that hasn't been the case.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you owned the quad" I retort, rubbing the back of my head. I don't like to compliment my brother, but I do see why he's on the soccer team; his kick is powerful.

"Well don't you just think you're so clever" he sneers while snatching the ball from the ground. He starts to walk away, but turns around and continues to walk backwards. "Hope I don't see you soon" he says with fake excitement.

"Likewise!" I mock him.

"I'll never understand how someone so attractive can have such a douchey personality," Hailie sighs from besides me, causing me to roll my eyes as we continue to make our way across the quad and back to our dorm.