CHAPTER 10- THE BATTLE

Disclaimer – I don't own pokémon.

"And now, we are starting the three on three pokémon battle, between Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town and Misty, the Cerulean City Gym Leader!" Brock announced, as Dawn and Misty's sisters cheered from the sidelines.

"Like, go, Misty! Kick his butt!"

"Good luck Ash!"

The battle was taking place right near the hotel's huge league-size swimming pool, which was currently empty.

Ash stood, arms crossed, unashamedly checking Misty out as she approached him.

"Are you trying to distract me?" Ash gestured to the red bikini she was wearing.

"You know I always prefer to battle near water dressed like this." Misty answered. "But is it working?"

"Somewhat. But you'll still lose, even if I am distracted," came the insolent response.

Ash and Misty then shook each other's hands.

"Do you remember the stakes?" Misty asked.

"How could I forget!" Ash replied cockily. "I think youwant to lose, Mist."

He wasn't exactly right – though Misty hated losing pokémon battles, if she lost this one, the consequences wouldn't be that bad… but better still, if she won! After all, Misty loathed losing against Ash - in anything. And even though she knew he was just joking around, and that he respected her a lot as a trainer, she wanted to prove to him that she was every bit as good as he was!

Misty shot him a determined look.

"No way."

She was going to win.

Ash was similarly driven to win – she had promised him enough incentive, which would drive him to victory.

"Torterra, I choose you!" Ash shouted, throwing a pokéball into the air.

With a flash of red light, his fully evolved Turtwig emerged.

An advantageous choice, since Torterra was a grass pokémon, and thus had the upper hand against any of Misty's pokémon, which were all water-types.

Misty smiled, pulling out her pokéball, and kissing it, fully aware that Ash was watching this particular action.

"Misty caaaaaaaalls… Gyarados!" she cried, tossing the pokéball up.

With a roar, a huge dragon-like pokémon emerged from the pokéball, fangs gleaming.

Ash gulped. He hadn't expected her to use Gyarados till the end. And it was part flying, and therefore doubly strong against his grass/ground type. Plus, he was pretty sure it knew flamethrower.

"Torterra, bullet seed!" he ordered.

"Dodge it by diving in the water, Gyarados!" Misty commanded.

Before the potentially dangerous seeds could hit Gyarados, it disappeared with a splash, and Torterra's attack was futile.

Misty winked at Ash from across the pool.

Ash clenched his teeth – she would have the advantage, since they were on what could be considered a water-type battlefield. He needed to get the monster out of the water… and there was an attack which could do the trick.

"Earthquake!" Ash shouted. It was a risky choice, but since Gyarados was under water, it ought to be effective.

Torterra stomped on the ground, with it's powerful, bulky legs.