"Christine, you're still so sick. I don't want to risk your health, mental or physical, anytime soon." His blue eyes softened kindly as hers welled up with tears,

"You think I'm crazy, don't you!"

"No! No, I don't think you're crazy. It's just...you've been ill and, I would never risk your health intentionally. I love you, my darling. I love you." Containing her whimpers, Christine laid her head against her husband's chest and whispered,

"I love you too."

E-OC

My dearest Christine,

Erik begs you not to be alarmed at receiving this letter. He is sure you believe him to long interred into the soil beneath his Opera House but, that is hardly correct. He has had a fortunate run of luck and has been reinstated at the Opera Ghost.

He shall get straight to the point. The Opera is putting on its first performance since its temporary closing and we must have a soprano that Erik can trust. He could think of none but you.

Christine, Erik trained your voice to perfection. You must come and sing. Erik will not try to meet with you. He will avoid you. He loves you but you must be happy with your young man.

He let you go. He will not recant his promise.

Your Angel of Music

After scratching his signature into the parchment, Erik glanced back through his letter. Surely, she wouldn't deny him this? Surely, she would be kind to the memories of her angel. Surely, she would come sing for him once more, even if it were for his alias.

Carefully folding the message, he stamped it appropriately and sealed it with his skull seal. Setting the letter aside for posting later, he picked up a sheet of paper and began to plot daily plans for the Opera, refusing to ponder why his confession of love had been so hard and his promise of avoidance so easily written.

Certainly, it was just his fear of rejection.

It had to be just that.

E-OC

"What do you think of forest green?" Reine asked as she held up a scrap of cloth and frowned at it. "Would this be a good color for a Christmas Masque?" Candela shrugged and took the color from the Duchess.

"I don't know. It's very much a Christmas color but I always preferred red."

"Ah, that's a good one too. Let me see what I have..." She dug through her cloth pieces and withdrew a handsome blood shade. "How about this? It's a good red, reminds me of the holly berries back home." Candela took the color strip from her and nodded.

"Yes, I like it. Maybe some white added in for accent and the decorations will be perfect."

"Maybe it will snow and add to the mood!" Reine offered excitedly and set the red cloth aside and pulled out a paper covered in party theories they had drawn up several weeks previously at their first meeting. Adding the color choice to the page, she set it aside and pulled out another page.

"I'll commission the curtains and other décor this afternoon. Yesterday, I arranged for the meal and appetizers as well as the silverware and dishes." While chewing on her bottom lip, she scratched off those items on the list. "All we need to do is write invitations. I bought cards and had the invitation printed. All we must do now is write each name. What are your opinions of writer's cramp?"

"On behalf of a good cause, I shall endure it with joy." Candela declared happily as Reine passed her a stack of cards, a pen, and a list of names. Settling comfortably into her chair, she began to carefully copy names just as they were listed.