Chapter 7 : Only Us

I pulled an all-nighter. It was Sunday, my one day off. Usually, Frankie comes over today since it's his off day too. I got the weekly text from him asking to come over, and I told him yes. My plan was to be put into action as soon as his cheating ass stepped through that door.

Sage left sometime this morning. She said she was going to meet Jacob. She seemed fairly happy considering their oath of silence last night. This made the plan slightly harder, not having her by my side. But it had to be done. I made sure everything was in place, and heard a knock 10 minutes later. Go time.

I took a breath and opened the door.

"Hey you." He leaned down and kissed my cheek. I could already tell he was off. He was here to dump me.

"Hey." He walked around me and into the apartment.

"What the..?" His eyes widened as he saw the apartment in shambles. "What happened here?"

"Oh, that. Didn't get to clean that up yet. See.." I sat and began my speech. " Last night, Ange stopped by. The lack of color in your face tells me you know her. Anyway, we had some girl talk and then Sage drove her home because she was drunk. I spent all night thinking about what we talked about. At about 3 this morning, I figured out what had to be done." I got up and held up a trash bag. "This... is all of your stuff." I threw it at him.

"What the hell?"

"Oh, you look confused. Ange spilled your secret and I did you a favor. Take your shit, and go." I stood firm. I thought I'd cry, but this felt good.

"Baby listen, it's not like that..." I held up a hand. Now I'm mad. And according to Sage, mad Ry is sassy.

"No, you listen. You were coming to leave me anyway, weren't you? Since Ange is so much better? SOO I made it easy. Take. Your. Shit. And leave before I make it really hard for you and Ange to have sex again." He ran. Took his stuff and left. Slammed the door behind him. I cleaned up all of the trash I threw around and sunk to the floor. The tears started to fall, and I let them. I don't usually cry, but it was not hitting me what had happened.

I sat in a ball and cried on my bed all morning. The pain in my heart hurt more than anything I'd felt in a long time. I was alone. Single, Cheated on. Left for someone else. How could he do this to me? I gave him so much. And what did I get? Heart-ache. Pain. Tears. Nothing more. The more I thought about it, the more it hurt. And then it came back. That itch. Not an actual itch, more so a burning desire. It started to tingle and burn in my arm. My skin got hot and I slowly rubbed back and forth. The urge was back, the one I tried so hard to suppress for so long, the demon locked in my closet. Before I could stop myself, I went into the kitchen. I opened the draw next to the sink and pulled out a pair of scissors. I sat back down on my bed and played with the cold metal. I couldn't bring it to my skin, but I couldn't but them down. I sat, teary-eyed, at the thing that took away my pain for years. I had promised not to use them again, but how do I do this alone? I need them. No..I need..

The door unlocked behind me and I put the scissors under my pillow. I need her.

Sage walked in as teary-eyed as me. I couldn't stand to see her cry.

"Oh gosh Hop, what happened?" She dropped her stuff to the floor and sat on my bed next to me. She lay down and put her head in my lap.

"God Ry, it's awful." She started to tear up again. This was weird for me. Sage was always my rock, always there for me to keep my tears from spilling She rarely needed me, maybe once in a blue moon. But I was glad I was here for her, it let me be closer to the girl I loved.

"Tell me everything."

"So Jacob invited me out. Said we needed a day together that whole shit last night. So we went to that coffee shop a block or two away. Everything was fine until I brought up last night. He got all nervous and awkward. I knew he was lying last night, I could see it. I brought it up thinking no big deal. Turns out.." She stopped. Her voice cracked and her eyes watered. I sat her up and put her in front of me. I rubbed her shoulders and waited. "Turns out, he's been cheating on me since we left for the beach trip. He wanted to hang out today so that he could dump me. He left me Ry. For some bitch he's been cheating on me with for months. We've been together for so long.. I don't know how to function without him." She finally broke. She threw herself forward and cried in my shoulder. I held her tight and tried to calm her down. She let it all out, and I just let her cry. She needed to let it out. I had just gone through the same thing so I know. I hugged her closer and waited for her to feel better. She went on for a couple minutes. I was thinking as she did this and then I had to ask.

"Hop, did he tell you who it was?" She sniffled and looked up at me. God her eyes were so beautiful.

"Some stupid bitch from our math class. Ange." Shit.

"Ange from last night?"

"Yeah, that one."

"Oh that's rich." I chuckled a little, and then full out laughed. I turned to her and she had a look of pain and confusion. She started to back away from me and tears filled her eyes. "No, not like that. Listen. Ange was drunk last night and told me she was sleeping with Frankie. He came today to dump me, but I threw his shit at him and made him leave."

"Awe Ry, I'm sorry."

"Haha, don't you get it?"

"Get what?" She looked at me sad and confused and I wanted to kiss her and make her smile. Sadly, I can't do both at the same time.

"Our boyfriends left us for the same girl." Then her eyes widened. It finally clicked: our boys played us, only to be played by the same bitch. It was a teary doubtful laugh at first, but eventually it was uncontrollable.

"You'd think two girls who'd just been dumped would be upset. But only our lucky asses get dumped for the same slut!" Sage laughed as she spoke. I loved her laugh. It made me happy to see that smile and hear her happiness.

"Only us, Hop. Only us." We spent the rest of the day watching movies and eating ice cream, stereotypical I know. But it made her smile still, which made my heart race. By night, we had completely forgotten out boy troubles. I could see she was still fragile on the inside, and so was I. But I was stronger. She was still broken. And I was going to help her. We don't need them. We have each other, and I'll stop at nothing to put a smile on her face. I will always be here for her because now it's us against the world.