II: Chapter 13

The next few evenings rolled by without any interference or disturbances, until Evie became mostly healed. She was able to perform every task she had been doing prior, and spent the mornings training her body back into shape. She had lost quite a bit of weight, and had been complaining of awful stomach pains.

"I don't know what to do about those, Evie. Perhaps it's your monthly bleedings?" Eve enquired as they strolled through the small town to the bakery, Eve's hand heavy with gold she had stolen from an unwitting Scott.

"No, no. It isn't. I don't know, I just -" Evie swayed, and Eve caught her arm.

"Whatever it is, it's not good."

Eve suddenly had a flashback to the encounter months ago with the woman in the road, and her warning to the entourage. Soon after that, they had been separated on the mountainside, and Evie had nearly died.

I curse you! I curse you to a lonely and painful death!

Eve shuddered, remembering the woman's words.

She told Evie her suspicions that perhaps she had been cursed, and her friend laughed out loud, until she had to clutch her stomach with both hands.

"Are you serious, Eve? Those things don't exist!"

"Well, have you noticed any strange markings appearing on your body then?" She pressed.

"Of course not; I'd even strip right here if you so desired, to prove that what that woman had said was a load of codswallop!"

"But you kicked her down...that's direct contact, right?" Eve was not very well versed on curses, but she knew that much at least, or at least she thought she did.

They entered the bakery, selected a baguette fresh from the oven, and went to sit on the frost-bitten grass to eat it.

Evie laughed.

"No. After all, my foot was covered, was it not?"

Eve decided to let it go, after contemplating for a second. Knowing how Evie had become ill didn't cure it, after all.

"Besides," Evie continued, "Are you going to tell me what happened the other night? Yout face was awfully flushed after you came back from the bath-"

"Oh, look at that!" Eve interrupted, pointing at a band of people walking through the streets, trailing flower chains and coloured flags.

Finishing her portion of bread by stuffing it ungraciously into her mouth, she gestured frantically to Evie and then ran over to watch the procession. She watched happily as flower girls twirled and swirled behind the group, leaving trails of rose petals on the path, which a lone, embellished wagon rattled over the bumpy road. Inside, she was glad for the distraction. She didn't want to talk about Victor - or Ash - yet. After all, it was only she who ever noticed his presence. For some reason, he was largely ignored by the rest of the brothel, although he came and went as he pleased.

"Eve!" Evie had come up beside her, and pointed to the wagon, a little horrified. "Look!"

Out of the corner of the wagon, so miniscule she'd almost missed it, hung a pale white arm. It was thin and the bones were saggily clung to by the skin. As it rattled past the arm and fingers never twitched, it only smacked against it with a slap. She could just about make out a different body, and another one, and another one. They were all piled on top of one another, all unmoving. Their eyes were glassy, and their skin equally pale. It was then that Eve realised they were dead. All of them.

"Why are they dancing, and singing?" Eve remembered the men on the mountain, and gritted her teeth, her heart panging. "Death is nothing to jest about."

"No...no, that's not what they're doing. They're celebrating the life that they once had; can't you see? All those people are beggars and people who have nobody else around or left to help them pass into death."

Eve stepped a little closer and spotted a ripped tunic, which was rife with mud and dirt. The others were the same, all homeless like Evie had said. She hadn't seen it before.

"I don't know how exactly this has happened, but I have lived a sheltered life, never considering others' apart from mine," Eve told Evie. "As you know, I used to be like them: a nobody. But I still had and have people who care for me, which makes this whole trip worth all of the pain and suffering I endure. I'm just sorry to see you pulled into all this." She sighed, watching as the last petal fluttered to the ground, only to be run over by the wagon of death.

Evie elbowed her in the ribs, then slung an arm over her shoulder.

"We'll ride out tomorrow, okay?" She whispered in Eve's ear. "Anyway, the prophecy dragged me into this, not you. Don't carry every heavy burden on your shoulders alone. It's hard to live and breathe these days without feeling like you're expected to do something, or be someone. I had everything," she clenched her fists, "taken away from me. My home, my mother, and my destiny. Betrayed, by my own family, my own blood. But you've made me realise that being alone and trusting nobody will just end up with too much suffering, for everyone and myself. All we do each day is the best we possibly can, and if that isn't enough, we can try again. So, don't be too hard on yourself."

They waited until the parade had receded into the distance, and then Evie told Eve her story. Once she had finished, Eve was left speechless, furious, and saddened. Swallowing, she took Evie's hand, who clenched hers with renewed strength.

"There's nothing I can say to make you feel better, but I'm still sorry," Eve told her, "But I swear to you that I will never betray your trust like that. To me, family and kin are the most precious things I have, and it's always been that way, and always will be. Although you're not technically my sister, neither is the one I'm searching for, and I want us to at least call one another friends."

"Friends?" Evie joked. "All of that, and that's all we are now?"

"Hmmm, it depends if you get on my good side. That would be the right one, by the way," Eve laughed.

"Of course," Evie smiled, and Eve turned to face her, serious once more.

"I think that after all of this is over, there is something I would like to do with you."

"Oh? Is this a proposal, Eve? You could have waited for a better location."

"Sort of...I want you to take back your homeland, and I want to help you do that."

Evie checked her features, saw that Eve's expression was completely grave, and swiftly pulled out the dagger she kept hidden in her boot. Eve didn't budge.

"You know what this means."

"Of course."

Eve held out her palm, and Evie grabbed it, slicing a neat line across her lifeline, then dropped Eve's hand and mimicked the cut on her own opposite hand.

"To us," Eve offered her palm out, the blood dripping slowly down it.

"To us," Evie concurred, and they shook hands, their lifeforce mingling and sealing the promise of both their bond, and the oath to regain her true home.

***************
A/N: Hello! Author here, for a quick sidenote. I hope you're enjoying the story! (If you are please leave a vote to show support :) )
What do you think will happen?
Do you like this new side to Evie?

I try to update as often as I can, so I'm super grateful for your patience! Thank you everyone for reading!

Have a wonderful xmas break!