Chapter 4 (Rain and the Child )

The bell rung thrice and I woke up. It was midnight quarter past one and the bell was continuously ringing. I opened the door and saw my neighbor Mihir standing.

"Sorry Bhai, if I disturbed you. Actually, my room partner and his girlfriend are having the party and I am not able to sleep. In fact, don't want to disturb them. Can I sleep on your Sofa in the Hall?"- Mihir said.

"It's ok bro, come and sleep there. The remote is on the Sofa itself, switch on the AC and sleep well" – I replied.

I woke up at 8 am and saw Mihir sleeping on the floor. He was sleeping like a kid. I kicked him and made him awake.

I got ready and reached office. It was last day in my office since I resigned after a week of the death of Seema. I still can see her smiling face and can't believe that I was the last person who met her before she died. I and Seema were not so close friends but she had trust on me. She used to sit with me sometimes and share her problems and secrets.

Tomorrow I have to join a new organization and new chapter of my life will continue. My boss came and gave me the bonus cheques and asked to collect the relieving letter from the new HR.

I was stuck on the red signal and it was raining. The traffic in Gurgaon is the worst on a rainy day. Me and my Dhanno (Car) were stuck in such traffic and feeling irritated. I saw 2 kids begging for money or food. I called 1 among those. He came running close to my car window.

"Saheb gives me some money please"- he said.

"Tell me your name and you can call me Uncle, not Saheb"- I replied.

"Ok uncle my name is Chintu and I stay with my family at the back of that red signal. Can you please give me some money?"- he said with a cute smile and shivering.

"Chintu I will not give you money but can offer you a packet of biscuit. Take it and get back to your home. It's raining hard and you don't have full clothes on your body" - I replied.

"Uncle my father is ill and it's raining so we don't have food to eat. I am hungry and my mother told me to ask someone for food. I have fever still shivering and begging for food and money. Please give me one more packet since I have a small sister and she is hungry too."- Chintu replied.

He was just a 6-year small kid but was talking like a mature guy. I asked him to come and sit in my car. He denied and ran back holding the 2 packets of biscuits in his both hands, he was running with excitement. Those 2 biscuit packets were like the medal for him.

I reached home after 2 hours of traffic jam and was feeling exhausted. The memories of my office and colleagues were revolving in my mind. Suddenly the bell rang, I opened the gate and was the surprise to see my 4 colleagues and 2 subordinate standing on my gate.

They came to give me a surprise farewell party. I was shocked and somewhat was happy to see them. I ordered food and cold drinks only since the hard drink was already with them. We had a party and so much of fun remembering all the memories and old colleagues who left including the back biting about some other colleagues.

It was 12 midnight and we were almost drunk. The girls left early since they had to reach to their P.G. before 12 am but we party dogs were still in the mood to dance and enjoy. After, midnight two almost everyone left except the two colleagues, who were not even able to walk till toilet. Everybody came except Seema whom I missed tonight. She was so caring and nice for me, never let my salary deduct although was strict for other people on the floor.

Next day I reached office to complete the paperwork and other formalities. It was just a few hours' work and was given off for the day. After the office, I drove towards that red signal where I met Chintu yesterday.

There were few tent type houses made at the back of the red signal. I parked my car and started asking for Chintu and his family. After few minutes I saw Chintu and his family. He was happy to see me except his parents.

His father came forward and asked – "Saheb anything wrong has he done? My Chintu is not bad he shouldn't have stolen anything from your car. Even he is not a beggar. His hunger forced him to beg for food last night. If he did anything wrong, please forgive him and me too. We are poor people but not thief or beggar." He was crying while speaking with his folded hands.

I hold his shoulder and said –"Bhaia there is nothing like that, he is really a sweet kid and his sweetness made me come here and meet you, people. By the way, how is your health and how is the fever of Chintu?"

"I am not well from last 3 weeks Saheb and thus my family is not able to get proper food. I met a doctor and he asked to buy medicine costing 500 rupees. I don't have money to buy food for my family then how could I buy medicines?"- He replied.

I asked him to come with me. He hesitated but after requesting twice he came with me. I drove and took them to a private hospital. Chintu got medicine for his normal cold and fever but his father was suffering from Malaria and thus doctor asked to admit him immediately. I went to the cash counter and gave my credit card to swap for all the fees and admitting his father.

After 2 days, Chintu's father got discharged and I brought him back to his destination. He was crying and grabbed my feet and said – "Saheb I am speechless and unable to say a word related to whatever you did for my family. You came from God for me."

I grabbed his shoulder and said –"Don't worry Bhaia, from tomorrow you are doing a job of a security guard in my society. I have already talked with the president of the society. He will give you a month advance salary on my guarantee. So work hard and don't ever let your family beg for food or money".

I went close to Chintu, he was smiling and winked at me. I laughed and gave him 2 packets of chocolates. He grabbed those 2 chocolates and started dancing the same way as he danced last night. He got his medal and I got my peace and smile back in my life.

I drove back towards my flat singing an old Bollywood song of the mid-80s. I was feeling good as I saw the real happiness on the face of Chintu and his family.

I don't know why I started missing Shreya, her smile and the way we used to talk for hours and hours. I am not sure whether her real name was Shreya or not. The way she left me, I have doubt on her each identity. I called on her number after so many days, it was still showing switch off.

She left me alone in the moonlight and thus I always remember her by the name of Chandani (Moon Light).