"Stop, Carson," the blonde said firmly. "Things happen for a reason. It may not always make sense, but I'm sure we'll all get something out of this. A lot of great things sprout from tragedies."

Yet again, sage and blue eyes found each other from different areas of the room. Ayden's theory struck a little too close to home for both Carson and Josiah. If their current romantic relationship was anything worth talking about, it would fit right in with what the blonde was trying to explain to them.

The brunet cleared his throat and looked at Ayden. "Yeah, I guess. We'll find out in time, huh? You know, trust you to always be the positive one, Ayd," he teased.

Ayden smiled smugly. "It just makes me that much better, right? Besides, you both missed it, I know. You can't lie to me."

Josiah laughed lightly, and leaned in to kiss her cheek. "We'd never even dream of it, babe."

Carson tried to brush off the beginnings of jealousy as he watched his boyfriend and best friend flirt seemingly harmlessly.

She had him first, the brunet told himself. You have no right to be jealous or upset. He's technically still with her.

Ayden's light and cheery voice broke into Carson's thoughts. In a playful tone, she asked, "Please tell me that Adam Levine is still hot, though."

Josiah leaned back from the blonde, looking slightly offended. "Excuse me!"

Ayden smirked while the older man narrowed his eyes. "What? These are the important things one needs to know in life." Carson choked back a laugh, not wanting to join the blonde in getting on his boyfriend's bad side. Josiah scoffed. "At least tell me if I've missed any major current events. Just because you two have apparently been boring as heck, there has to have been something interesting in the world that happened."

"Oh yeah," Carson said as seriously as he could. "Channing Tatum and his wife got divorced."

"No freaking way!" the blonde squealed. Her green eyes went wide in question as they locked on her best friend. "So I have a chance now? I've been waiting my whole life for this moment!"

"Hey!" Josiah protested.

"Sorry," Carson said flatly. "You don't stand a chance because he's dating me. I'm the reason they broke up."

Ayden looked confused for a good three seconds before she figured it out. She pouted and glared at the brunet. "You suck! You're such a liar."

Josiah smiled. He extended one of his long arms towards Carson so they could high-five. "Nice one, Car."

The brunet slapped the darker man's hand and started to laugh at Ayden's reaction.

"That was mean," the blonde whined, crossing her arms. "I have a deep-rooted love for him."

Josiah rolled his eyes. "Uh huh. That's why you asked about Adam Levine first..."

Ayden waved her hand dismissively. "Pshh, details." A soft knock on the door drew all of their attention. "Come in."

The door swung open and Walt appeared in the doorway. He smiled happily at the young adults in front of him. The man walked to the bed and kissed his daughter on the forehead.

"How's it going in here? Getting up to trouble, yet?"

"You know it, dad," Ayden said, letting a tiny amount of sarcasm into her words.

Walt only shook his head. "You getting tired again? You've been awake for a while."

Ayden shrugged. She was feeling a little drowsy. "Maybe."

Walt looked at the young men in the room. "You guys hungry? We can let Ayden catch a few more Z's while we go to lunch." He looked at each person. "How does that sound?"

Josiah and Carson both shrugged while Ayden nodded. They all took turns sharing hugs with the sleepy blonde before the three men made their way out into the hall. Making the usual small talk, they walked through the hospital and made their way to Walt’s car in the parking lot before they made the short, three minute drive up to the closest cafe.

It wasn’t until the three of them were all settled in at a table by the window overlooking the street, that Walt let himself think about what was on his mind for the last few days. He waited until the waitress had taken both their drink and meal orders before he dove right into the heart of the subject.

Walt finished taking a sip of his coffee and then fixed a curious stare upon each of the young men sitting next to each other on the opposite side of the table from him. “So,” he said conversationally, “How long has it been since the two of you became a thing?”

Sage eyes flew wide open and the glass of soda that Josiah had just picked up slipped from his fingers and crashed to the floor. “Oh, shit!” he hissed as his beverage spilled all over his shoes and soaked his socks.

Carson was choking on air as he stared at Walt in complete shock. He felt Josiah’s soda splash off of the ground and hit his legs that weren’t being covered by his shorts, but he ignored it. He had more pressing matters at hand. “How the hell did you find out?” he managed to ask in awe.