♚ Chapter Ten ♚

When I was a baby, I was abandoned by my parents at an orphanage. I don't remember their names, their jobs, or even what they looked like. The orphanage took me in and welcome me, taking care of me until I was of age that I started learning about the world. That's when I learned their true colors.

They trained the orphans there to steal from people and businesses. We learned nothing else other than the art of stealing. Every night, the adults would parade around in heavy coats and had their pockets filled with various items. From jewelry to money to food, we had to practice pick pocketing them.

Every day, we were sent out to steal and every night, we had to turn in what we stole. If we return empty-hand, they would punish us. As for the things we stole, they didn't use it on us; they used it on them. As we were left, starving in rags and in the cold, the adults in the orphanage enjoyed lavish foods and fancy clothing.

One day, I remembered returning empty handed for the third time in a month. They grew angry at me and punished me. But, instead of the usual spanking or whipping, they held my face over the flickering fire and burned my eye. As they seared my right eye closed, I screamed in agony. It was the worst pain I felt in my entire life, I'll even admit it now. As I stood, sobbing over my injury, they used me as an example to the other orphans on what happens if we keep failing to do our jobs. As they did this, I noticed an opening; the front door was unlocked and slightly open, as if someone came in and forget to close it completely and lock it.

That's when I made a run for it

*~*~*~*~*~

I stood, frozen and embarrassed over Smile. The words I just said had tumbled out of my mouth without me even thinking about the it.

Awkward silence hung in the air. "Well..." Smile coughed. "If you love me so much that you confess without thinking about it, then surely you can tell me about your patron. Besides, I told you my secret earlier, and since you weren't there at the showers, you didn't see what happened. So you owe me."

I sighed. He was right there. "Only because you insist," I said, still holding his hand. I took a deep breath, preparing what I was going to say. "Our patron is 'Father'. We call him that because he took us in when we were kids and living all alone. We all lived in his Workhouse, or the orphanage he had for us. His real name Baron Kelvin. I believe he wears a ring with a special symbol on it, and the prosthetics that some of the first-stringers wear bear that symbol. It just says that we all belong to him." I paused. "Is that all you need to know?"

"Yes," Smile smiled thankfully. "Thank you for informing me."

I decided to change the subject. "Well, now that's over and done, I better check to see if anyone's coming back--" I got up but Smile still gripped my hand.

"Wait, I need to reply to something you said earlier," Smile interrupted.

"What is it?" I gulped.

"I love you too."

"Excuse me?"

"I believe you said 'Smile, as much as I love you, I can't tell you, okay' earlier, so I'm replying to your confession. Yes, I do love you."

"R-Really? This isn't a joke?"

"It's not."

I said nothing more as I elated down from where I was, tucking some loose strands of hair behind my ear before pecking Smile's lips softly. I pulled back and smiled at him. "Thank you," I whispered, slightly tearing up from his confession.

Smile smiled warmly before closing his eyes and fell back asleep. I sighed happily and ruffled his hair, still thinking it was all a dream. Smile, shared my feelings, and I kissed him! My first kiss!

I decided to leave the tent for a breather. I took a step out to see Freckles holding a bowl with ice and a smug look on her face. I gulped. "How much of that did you hear?" I asked

"Oh I heard everything," she said sternly.

Even about what I told Smile about our patron? I dreaded to see her reaction.

"Congratulations, Violet!" She cheered, wrapping her arm around my neck.

"Huh?" I asked, flabbergasted. "You aren't...mad?"

"Mad? 'Ave you gone crazy? Of course I'm not mad! I'm proud, actually! You finally confessed to Smile and he returned the feelings. Did you two of you shared a snog?"

"It was only a peck on the lips!"

"If you say so."

Freckles laughed at my embarrassment, and I laughed along. I am grateful that I have a good friend like her and she was my best friend.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'Lil fluffy chapter. So cute.
By the way, my OC is fourteen. Ciel is around thirteen in this arc. Yeah, my OC is older than him. I guess she's kinda giving off the mom vibe? I don't know.
Edit: CRIIIIIIINGGE
And this is why I'm better at writing angst