Chapter Two - The Trick

Start from the beginning

What? He said into my mind, Are you thinking about me?

Thinking about how you watch me sleep, I replied.

Don't say you don't watch me sleep darling. He said with a smirk 

At least you know when I watch you sleep prick. I retorted.

"We should get ready", He said, smiling. I nodded in agreement.

I walked into the closet and chose out a Night Court attire of green and silver. I finished changing just as Rhys said, "The Masquerade Ball is this Sunday." 

I had never heard of such a thing so I replied, "What's a Masquerade Ball?" 

"It is a regular ball where everyone will wear themed costumes along with a mask to match", Rhys explained. It sounded interesting.

"Is it men's choice or ladies choice?" I asked.

"Men's choice", he replied. 

I walked out of the closet to find Rhys already dressed and ready for breakfast. I would find out more about this ball later.

|---------------|

We walked into the dining room to find everyone else standing behind their chairs.

They bowed as one but it was Mor who said, "Good thing your back Feyre. We had to keep replacing the furniture from Rhysand's...outbursts." She said with a wink. I smiled but there was a weird tension in the room. I looked around just as it hit me.

Cassian wasn't here. 

I had completely forgotten about him. The confusion must have shown on my face because Azriel said, "He is alive, but not...faring so well."

"When can I see him?" I asked. 

It was Rhys who answered, "You can see him right now, if you are ready. It isn't the best sight to see. Cass is different."

"I'll be fine." I said, "Lets go now."

"I'm not going" whispered Azriel. 

I looked at Rhys for an explanation but all that he said into my mind was, He feels bad. He thinks it was his fault.

But its not. It is only The King of Hybern's fault.

Rhys nodded and I realized that Mor was looking at us. "What?" I asked. 

All she said was, "I'll never get how you two do that," and walked in the direction of Cassian's room.

I followed after her, Rhys and Amren trailing me, leaving Azriel behind.

Once we reached the door I signaled for Mor to let me open it and for them to stay behind. 

I walked in to find Cassian having a dream or, a nightmare? He was thrashing and whispering something that sounded like, it's all her fault. I didn't know who he was talking about but I looked at his back to find...nothing. His wings had been amputated. 

"Oh My God", I whispered quietly to myself.

I walked over to Cassian he was still whispering, it's all her fault, to himself. I laid a hand on his pale arm and his eyes flew open.

He hadn't been asleep.

It hit me...when he whispered it's all her fault...it was me. 

"Cassian", I said in a wary voice. 

His answering growl brought me to my senses. I slowly walked away as he inched closer to me a predator closing in on is prey. 

"Cassian", I said again.