3. On the Move

Kyn carefully observed Idi's face as he described the new roommate she was to have for the next few months. Her eyes twitched at one point, and her fingers tightened, but she took the information without further reaction.

It was Cadel who she was to spend the majority of her time guarding. Cadel, who was Kyn's brother, a thirteen year old boy who would never consciously hurt a fly. Cadel, who was the only person Kyn had known to have two eye colors, a blue in his left and a yellow in his right.

Cadel, who was slightly off in the head.

No—no, not exactly off, that was such a derogatory term despite its euphemistic implications. Though the boy spent much of his time gazing off in blissful stupor, unaware of his surroundings as he floated in his own world, he did have his lucid moments, he really did—only less now than in the past. During those times when he grounded himself to the earth, he was a pure joy to converse with: intelligent and observant and eloquent and empathetic.

Not that the others knew that though. As kind and precocious as he sometimes could be, Cadel was no less a stigma in the average population, and his strange eyes did him no justice. They all believed that he was cursed, that he was a monster, that he was meant to be put down. And frankly, their preconception was why Kyn tried to keep the amount of people who were aware of Cadel's existence at a low count. Danger congregated in numbers after all.

Now, observing Idi, Kyn was actually quite impressed that she showed no outward distaste. Most people were irrevocably terrified of going near any 'defects' as they called it, and though she was not an exception—he could still see the discomfort bespoken by her eyes—she still strove to mitigate her expression.

Good. At least that made him feel slightly better about his brother. Slightly, that is.

Their conversation was broken when Denny finished treating the baby Maurice, the completion of his task announced quite conspicuously with the slamming open of the door. Idi sprang up from her waiting spot immediately, her ashen face slightly gaining color as relief bled into her features.

"How is she?"

"Fine," Denny handed over the baby, its lips fluttering in exhale. "Inside Maurice's pocket is the medicine; it won't cure her, but it is laced with my green chroma and some other supplements, so it should definitely help." He glanced at Kyn. "I gave her something to let her sleep, so she should be out for a few hours; that should give you enough time to move around quietly without making a commotion."

Kyn exhaled. Of course Denny had known Kyn's final decision even without asking. Kyn was by no means miffed—only annoyed—but he was silently thankful for the man's foresight because now a big obstacle was out of the way.

Now he just had one more task to complete for his visit here before he moved out.

"Denny," he spoke, getting the man's attention. "Can I resupply today?"

"Ah yes," the man scratched his head, "I was expecting you for that, actually. You have the old materials right?"

"Yes."

Denny nodded; he said no more, merely beckoning at the hallway for Kyn to enter. Kyn obliged, but his footsteps halted momentarily at the door frame. He looked back at Idi. She was more relaxed with Maurice in her arms, for most of her rigidity had dissipated; she did not seem inclined to making rash decisions at the moment. Good. He did not want the girl causing any trouble while he was out. He gave a slight nod to her—both an acknowledgement and a warning—as did she, before he walked through the doorway.

The door closed.

Kyn followed Denny as they walked down a small corridor past a dimly lit room, feet squelching on the mossy damp floor. There were many hallways, a courtesy to the large interior of Denny's shop complex, which was quite expansive despite it unimposing appearance upfront—a conscious choice made by Denny.