My Daughter's Teacher

Brett's P.O.V

I fucked up. So early into my second chance and I fuck up. I sit down on the same bar stool I have sat at for seven nights in a row now.

Kai came to me, saying her mother had told here not to speak to me but she wasn't going to listen to her mother.

I love that little girl like she's my daughter. But I don't want her getting not trouble because of me.

She had told me they have to go back to the hospital next week to get a pregnancy test done. I hope you god she isn't pregnant. I don't think her or her mother would be able to handle that.

Especially since both of them block everyone out when the going gets tough. They need someone. I want to be that someone.

I want to let Tyra have my shoulder to cry on. I want Kai to know she doesn't have to grow up so fast.

I take a drink of my fourth bottle tonight. It takes a lot for me to get drunk. I have all this money and no one to spend it with.

Not even my own kids. I should be able to spoil my kids but life has taken them from me. So I don't get to have that with them.

"I think you've had enough" The bar tender says after my sixth beer.

"Nah, I'm fine" I say.

"No, come with me and I'll call you a cab" He says.

I sigh and shrug but follow him anyway. Not until I'm outside do I realise I'm in the ally way not the Main Street.

Before I can question it I get soccer punched in the nose. I look at the bar tender with wide eyes.

"You beat my son up. You should get fired" He growls.

I look at him confused. The only boy I beat up was the arse hole that raped Kai. I look at him incredulously.

"That arse hole is your son?" I ask him.

"He's not an arse hole" He growls whilst taking another swing at me.

Soon there are other men joining in. I try to protect myself as much as I can but I find myself huddling on my side on the wet, cold, concrete floor of the alleyway barely holding into my consciousness.

I wake up in the same position on the same hard floor I groan. Good thing it's not too late. I still have school. It's Tuesday today.

I get up as slowly and carefully as I can. I limp to my car. My rib cage feels out of place same with my ribs.

Lifting my shirt I see the bruises along my ribs. I sigh and hop into my car with a groan in pain.

I still have to work. I need to teach these kids. I need to know Kai is safe and get an update on how her mother is coping.

"Are you okay sir?" Someone asks from behinds.

I've been staring at the baked goods in the window of the coffee for a good twenty minutes. I turn around to see Tyra.

Oh god how I've missed those beautiful eyes of hers. And her smile. Not to mention her cute frown.

"I'm fine" I say softly.

She shakes her head angrily and sighs.

"You are not fine. You're all beaten up" She says.

I look at her confused then remember how much my body hurts.

"Right. I forgot about that" I mumble.

"Let me clean you up" She says.

"I gotta go home n change then go to work" I whine.