Chapter 7 | Jerk Games

Ashley POV

I wondered what the game that Ashton referred to would be. I hoped it was fun. And I secretly knew it would be. How could it not be? I mean, this was Ashton Irwin we were talking about. Anyone who had seen his Keeks before would agree with me when I said that this boy knew how to have a good time.

He told Al and I to get in a line, along with the rest of the girls. "This is how the game works," he started. "Calum, Luke, Michael, and I will be the judges and you girls have to...be you," he said, with a smirk on his face.

"Be you?" I asked. What was that supposed to mean? Ashton just looked at me knowingly, making me feel special.

The fake girls looked excited at the prospect of trying to woo the boys. I'm sure they didn't even know their names. I wasn't even sure I wanted to play anymore. But then I thought of the look that Ashton had given me, telling me in confidence that he knew I wasn't like these girls, and I decided that I couldn't have withdrawn even if I wanted to.

"Okay then, we'll start at this side of the line," Ashton said, walking towards the side of the line opposite Al and I. Calum, Luke, and Michael gave Ashton a look. Calum pulled him aside.

"What are you doing, Ash?" I heard Calum whisper.

"Leave me alone." Ashton jerked Calum's hand off of his shoulder. "Let's see girls," he continued as if nothing had happened. "I'd say this one is a four, wouldn't you Mike?" He raised his voice, making sure everyone would hear him. As he said this, the girl he was referring to, one of the fakes, let out a small cough. Everyone looked at her. For once, I saw the real side of one of the fakes. She looked like a lost puppy, letting her vunerability show through the 'strong girl' mask.

She let out a small sob and ran out of the room, crying, the rest of her 'friends' following her, leaving Al and I the only ones in line.

I guess the most confident ones are sometimes the most insecure.

I went to help her until I felt a hand holding me back. I turned to see Ashton.

"Let go of me," I said slowly. "Please," I added.

"This game isn't over."

"Ashton, man, what's your problem?" Michael groaned, tired of all of this, although nothing had really happened, save Ashton making that poor girl run out crying. (Albeit she was a bit dramatic.)

"Do you realize that you could have just ruined her life?" Luke said furiously. "Seriously man, have you learned nothing about girls yet? You're the oldest of all of us!"

Eldest, I corrected in my mind. I decided this wasn't the best time to correct one of my favorite celebrities.

Calum stayed silent, only staring at Ashton. The stare probably intimidated Ashton more than the yells of his other friends.

"Did you not hear me? I said this game is not over!"

We all jumped.

"Get back in line!"

I quickly got back in line, fear overtaking my senses. What the hell had happened to the Ashton Irwin that all the fans knew and loved?

"I'd say that you're about a two, Al," he said mockingly.

"Hey!" I said indignantly, "No one talks to my friends like that! She's a freaking 10,000 and if you can't see that, you're blind!"

He looked momentarily taken aback at my outburst.

"Come on Al, we're leaving," I said, heartbroken that today had ended up like this.

"Now hold just a minute, sweetheart," he said cockily, "I still haven't judged you yet."

"It's very nice that you judge people on looks, Ashton, and not on personality. It helps me see what kind of person you are," I bit back. "I'm done with you."

"For the record," he raised his voice as we neared the door, "I think you're a one! And that's generous!"

"Stop trying to hide your attraction to me Ashton!" I yelled back, still walking away from the dressing room. "You're doing a really bad job of it!"

"As if!" Then I heard a slam from the room as I walked out with Al. I assumed that one of the boys had slammed Ashton against the wall. I heard them screaming at him. Serves him right.

I was strong enough to brush off his words, but I was worried for Al. And I was very worried for that other girl.

I told Al that I wanted to look for her. She was hesitant but soon agreed. We went searching for her and we found her, as I had guessed, without her friends. She was crying in a janitor's closet. Pathetic.

"Are you okay, hun?" I asked through the door.

I heard her gasp and try to compose herself. "Yeah...I'm, uh...fine," she said. She didn't sound very reassuring.

"No, beautiful, you're not. Come out where we can see you. It's just us don't worry."

"I can't," she whimpered.

"Why not?" Al asked, cautiously.

"Because I look ugly." She sniffed.

"No, you look beautiful, like always. I'm sure you'd look even more beautiful without all that makeup on your face. Come, let's go get that washed off."

I saw a hand hesitantly reach towards the door to push it away so that she could get out. I grabbed the doorknob to help. Once the door was open, I could fully see her face. To be honest, she was a total mess: her shirt turned to the side, her makeup all over her face, her hair astray. I'm sure that once we washed it off, she would look fine.

"Where are your friends?" Al carefully pried.

She let out a small sob. "They left me. The probably got bored of my complaining. I'm sure you're going to leave me soon, as well."

"We'd never leave a damsel in distress," I joked. She smiled. What horrible 'friends.' What, like you actually expected better from sluts like that? 

I told myself that she might be different, not really believing it, but giving her a chance anyway.

"Let's go to the bathroom," Al suggested, as we helped her up.

"Yeah," I agreed.

Man, Ashton was definitely going to get his karma. You wouldn't think your favorite celebrity would be a horrible person, but he would get his come-uppance for this. I was going to make sure of it.

********

ashley x