Chapter Fifteen: Will

Start from the beginning

I went quiet, and then I heard it. The snoring, although it was quieter now. “Do you hear it too?” I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

Eric nodded. “I think… I think she’s in the walls.”

“What?”

“I think Emma is in the walls.”

“What? No way. That’s impossible.”

He shrugged. “Well, either that or it’s a ghost.”

“I hope it’s Emma.”

“But how?” Eric muttered, mostly to himself, it seemed. “How did she get back there? That’s crazy.”

“I don’t know.” I made my way over to the storage room we had in there. There was a tiny door in the corner of the bathroom that led to it. We kept random crap in there, and over the years, it had piled up.

I went inside and looked for a possible entrance to the walls, but I couldn’t find anything. It was too small to successfully move around in, and if there was an entrance, it would be obvious. I mean, Rage was small, but she wasn’t a child. The entrance couldn’t have been that inconspicuous.

“Anything?” Eric asked when I climbed out.

I shook my head. “Nothing. I have no idea how she got back there.”

Eric chuckled under his breath. “I knew she was clever, but I think we underestimated her. This is fucking genius.”

I glared at my traitorous brother. Whose side was he on, anyway? “Shut up. Don’t encourage her. She can hear you.”

“No, she can’t. She’s asleep.”

As if on cue, another snore came from the walls.

“Whatever,” I said.

“Even you have to admit this is genius. If she hadn’t fallen asleep, I don’t think we would’ve found her at all.”

“If she was such a genius, she wouldn’t have gotten caught at all,” I said.

And again, Sniffles had the nerve to snort in amusement. I didn’t like this attitude she was getting. This wasn’t the Sniffles I knew.

“Are you trying to say something?” I asked, narrowing my eyes.

She just shrugged, that amused look still present on her face.

“Sniffles.” I shot her a look.

Another loud snore came from the walls.

“Keep it down, Rage,” I yelled, momentarily forgetting about my problem with Taylor’s new attitude.

Emma just continued snoring, unaware of the trouble she was in.

And then, I got an idea. I inched closer to the wall, waited for another snore, and then bam. I slammed at the wall with my fist to scare the shit out of her.

Right on cue, a bang followed my own hit—probably Emma’s head slamming into the wall out of shock.

“Ow,” she said. I could hear her perfectly well, even though a wall separated us. Good. That meant she could hear me perfectly well.

Wait. Maybe not so good. If she’d been in there all along, how much had she heard? Damn it. What had I talked about with Eric?

Okay, this isn’t the time! I shoved those worries aside and smirked at the wall. “Rise and shine,” I said. I had her right where I wanted her now. Now, if only she would get out of the walls… “You didn’t think you’d escaped me forever, did you?”