Ch.1: Sold to Callahan

I'm Khaleesi Esposito. My family and I are Italian. My mom, Julia, stays at home and home schools me. My older brother Trent is working for my dad at an insurance firm. We are a classic family. I also model on the side some, everyone seems to like a girl with light blonde hair and piercing green eyes. I'm going to turn 18 in a month, and I'm super excited. I came down from my room in a white romper and fuzzy socks, then sat at the dinner table. My dad looked at me sternly, "Kay, I have something to talk to you about." I was worried about his tone it was scaring me. I knew he had a meeting today, but thought it was for insurance purposes.

"Yeah," my voice was shaking worry.

"We need to tell you something." He looked over to my brother and my mom grabbed his hand. "Your brother and I are the leaders of the Italian mafia." I gasped and my hand darted over my mouth. "We are worried the Russian mafia is going to attack, so the American mafia and I decided it was best to unite the two mafias. That only way to do that is through...."

"Marriage," I whispered through my hand.

"Marriage." My dad went on, "Carter Callahan is going to marry you in two weeks. We need to make this fast. He is coming to pick you up so you can know each other before the wedding." I knew Carter Callahan. He was the heartless beast who only cared about using women. My hands trembled when I heard the doorbell ring. Four strong looking men came in. All joking around and suddenly their faces fell serious as they entered the dining room. I excused myself to my room, and fell to the ground crying. The last thing I saw was Carter sitting down next to my dad. Jack, Noah, James, Carter those were the boys entering my home. I heard a thunder of footsteps that were getting louder and louder so I locked my room. I heard a strong knock but I ignored it. I silenced my sobs in my hands my mascara running. "You have five minutes to get ready sweetheart," said my dad. I heard footsteps come up to my dad, so I listened while I packed. "Are you sure this is the best thing for my Khaleesi?" My dad sounded panicked.

"I do what my father says, and he said that I needed to get married, so I'm gonna get married."

"Carter, I know you're a good man but the second you hurt my daughter I will crush your neck, am I clear?" My dad sounded menacing and scary.

"Blah, blah, blah, whatever you say." Carter obviously was not scared or intimidated. "You could do worse things."

"I'm serious Carter do not hurt her, she's like a flower, delicate and sweet. But she can be bitter, and ruthless no matter how she looks. She doesn't know how to fight, and she never got the chance to learn to swim so be careful." I zipped my bag while I listened to Carter's response.

"She can't even swim!? Have you taught her any survival skills? That's.... That's just...... well that's just pathetic! She'll be dead in like two days."

"That's why she needs someone like you, she never wanted to swim. When she was five she took swimming lessons and almost drowned. So she never got into a pool again." My father's voice sounded stern and general at the same time.

"I probably won't even see her again after the wedding, we are only getting married so the two mafia's can join," said Carter plainly. "I don't do commitment."

I walked out of my room with tear stained cheeks. "I will see you, and if you cheat on me I will get a divorce faster than you can say Khaleesi. What would your father say to that?" He just stared at me. "That's what I thought." I grabbed my bags handle so tight my knuckles were turning white.

"She's a feisty one," was all he muttered to my father. "Although I hope she knows that she doesn't have the choice of divorce." Then he walked down the stairs and out the door to his car.