~9~

Stephen awoke with an abnormal feeling of calm in him, like he was alone and free. He tried to sit up, but the left side of him didn't move. It felt like he had half a dead person attached to him. He forced himself up, looking around with his one open eye. He was in what looked like an old school gym, at the top of the bleachers. Broken, rusty basketball hoops dangled from the ceiling, the left hand scoreboard ripped in half and sparking madly. The right one seemed entirely dead until it made a loud beeping noise and lit up for a split second. Stephen started with surprise and almost fell off of the row he had been laid down on, which was cracked and dirty. The others below him weren't much better; some had caved in and others had disappeared. Some parts had been stripped entirely and just faded into a black hole. He got up, the wood under his feet creaking precariously, and slowly half-walked, half-dragged himself over to the railing, gripping it with all the might his human hand had. The dark balcony behind him kept making ominous creaking noises. The room was not well lit, the only light coming naturally through the doors and windows and off the sparking scoreboard.
"What a wimp," a girl's voice said.
"Come down from there!" a different one yelled.
"No!" Stephen yelled. "It'll break!"
"We climb it every day," the first voice replied. "So get yourself together and move your ass!" The others joined in trying to get him down, leaving Stephen questioning his instinct. His wings had a random spasm, fluttering and slamming themselves into the railing. His other side-Insanity-snapped awake, instantly standing him up and opening his eyes. Where are we?
"You coming?" the second voice asked.
"Yeah," Stephen yelled down, filled with reckless courage. He jumped off the edge, wings automatically spasming--er, flapping--and flying him towards the ground. He landed lightly, his wings calming down. You're welcome.
"See?" the first voice said. "You did it." The four girls who kidnapped him approached him, Vera and Madison smiling, Ellie confused and no longer a zombie, and Tori stone-faced.
"Why didn't you fly down earlier?" Ellie asked, arms crossed.
"Um..." I told you to. "The virus, it..told me to."
"Huh," Vera said, walking over to him and looking him in the eyes. "It talks to you?"
"Y-yeah," Stephen replied, a little worried. Vera nodded and backed away, relieving his stress a little.
"You probably want to know why we took you," Tori said, stepping forwards. Yes, we do.
"Yeah, sort of. I was trying to watch Arrow."
"Good for you. Well, we took you because we know you can prove that mutants aren't bloodthirsty genetic retards." Well, that was a very accurate description.
"But I thought the virus destroyed your mind."
"No. the ones you saw had been tortured for information, dissected piece by piece, Pureblood." Stephen flinched at the word, ashamed that he had ever been one of them.
"The past is past," Vera said. "It doesn't matter now that we have him."
"We can stop them from killing any more of us," Ellie said. "Save the race." Stephen wasn't sure about these girls. They seemed nice and all, but he didn't want to face his friends. YESYESYES HELP THEM!
"I'll do it," he found himself saying, despite the war raging within his brain. "Wait! No, I...grrr!" He grabbed his head, fighting to gain control over his brain. The other girls exchanged looks, seeming a bit confused. You blind fool! Can't you see that we can live together if you do this?! But not in the same warped body, no, in SEPARATE ones.
"You okay?" Ellie asked, skeptical of his sanity.
"Yeah," Stephen said, relaxing and setting his hands at his sides. "I'll help you."