~4~

The last fifteen seconds were the scariest of Luna's life. She had heard that the mutation process was unnerving, but she had never... The screams of her partner still echoed in her ears as questions ricocheted through her head. Why did the mutation stop halfway through? Will he still go insane?... What'll happen to us? She had tried to stop it, to spare Stephen with a rock, but she was too late. She couldn't stop the destruction of Stephen's life. He was tough, though. He could deal with being a...a half-mutant, right? Her stomach lurched when she glanced back up at her partner, his misshapen left side disgusting her. She looked away, unable to look upon her partner in his current state.  Maybe he wouldn't be the only one having a hard time coping. The mutants around her were silent, except for a few scattered whispers. Eventually a mutant with a deep, doglike voice asked the question everyone was thinking: "Is he dead?" Sola smoke-flew over to Stephen, smoothly kneeling beside him. Luna tensed as her sister reached out to touch him, her heart fluttering. But with what? Nervousness? Hatred? Love? She shoved the last thought out of her mind, not wanting to be bothered by a stupid crush. Besides, she thought, If i were to date a guy, I don't want him to be any amount mutant. Sola gently set her fingers on the soft spot barely accessible between Stephen's plating, and the fingers on her other hand on the artery in the human part of his neck, feeling his pulse, or, pulses. After a few tense seconds, Sola stood.
"He is alive," she said. "And the virus has stopped spreading." Murmurs rippled through the crowd, quickly silenced by Sola. "I know that the virus wasn't a complete success, but it's another step towards our goal." What goal? Luna thought. World domination?
"Sola," the creature holding Luna boomed. "What do we do with them?" Sola thought for a second.
"Knock them out," she replied. "And have Gabe fly them home." Luna looked up, not having time to shriek before a fist slammed down on her head.