eighteen

"Where were you, Hayley, on the night of August the seventeenth?" Mark asked the individual that sat at the witness stand.

As he asked that question, Hayley thought about how she would much rather be stuck in Taylor's apartment, pretending to enjoy a cheesy rom-com on Netflix. She didn't care about what she would be doing, because she'd rather be doing anything else, would rather be anywhere else.

"I was in Taylor's apartment the whole day. He came home, we were together for a little while, and then everything happened."

"What happened, exactly?" The attorney asked.

Hayley had lost track of the amount of times the story had been restated by her and her boyfriend. She understood that it needed to be repeated, but it had become exhausting.

She sighed before explaining, "Someone was at the door. So Taylor went and opened it. It was Josh, as we've discussed. I was able to hide behind the couch, out of his view. Luckily, I had called emergency services before he noticed my presence. Just as the call came to an end, he saw me. He pulled me to join him and Taylor. He was saying that he wanted me back. I was trying to convince him to stop, convince him that what he was doing was unnecessary. He brought the gun down a little bit, only to lift it back up. After not too long, the officers arrived. They demanded we open the door, which Taylor hesitantly did. That resulted in Josh shooting him twice."

The entire room fell silent for a few seconds. Mark broke the tension that filled the air.

"Did you touch the weapon used by today's defendant? Even to just pick it up after he had set it down?"

"I did not," she answered.

"Thank you for your time," Mark replied before returning to his seat.

"Does the defense have any questions?"

Once again, the defense attorney stood from his chair and answered with a, "Yes, Your Honor."

"What is your former line of work, Hayley?" He asked with a small smirk upon his lips. Hayley glared at him, resisting the strong urge to roll her eyes.

Just as when Taylor was being questioned and was asked a question that wasn't quite appropriate, Mark again stood and exclaimed, "Objection!"

"Overruled," the Judge replied again.

"Your Honor, these questions serve no purpose in this case. He clearly wants Miss Williams to appear badly to the jury," Mark argued.

"I said it once and I'll say it again, overruled," the Judge repeated. The lawyer angrily took his seat.

"Answer the question, Miss Williams."

She sighed. "I'm a former camgirl. Before you say it, I'll do it; I was basically a sex worker."

"Interesting. Is it safe to assume that you're not entirely all there, up in the brain? I mean, just the fact that you have turned to that instead of finding a regular job shows it," he said, taking a look at the jury and emitting a chuckle.

"No. It is not safe to assume that, because that is not correct," Hayley argued. Though hidden, her hands were balled up into tight fists in her lap.

"Tell us, did you touch the weapon? And answer honestly, please. It was only to defend yourself, anyway. You won't be charged, even though it wasn't your weapon, nor are you licensed to carry, I would assume."

"I didn't touch the weapon. He put the weapon down after an officer demanded he do so. And then another officer took the weapon and put it in a sealed bag. For evidence."