The Dragon Tamers [5]

Only a few short hours later, the council and I had formulated our plan to hopefully create allies with our neighbours. After a lot of argument, we had decided that the Orcs hatred of humans would not sway them to help us alone. The Orcs are non magical folk and because of this, we agreed to teach a few Orcs healing magic to aide them. It was a shaky move, the Orcs have very little care for magic, they have never needed it and instead trained their soldiers in raw brute strength.

The Shapeshifters on the other hand, they had already mastered magic and it's many aspects. One council member suggested that we could send some non-combat dragons there to secure their border with the dwarves and generally help the people in which ever way they could. We unanimously agreed on the idea, ensuring that I would stress to the Shapeshifters that the dragons are just on loan.

I exited the meeting room with a flurry of emotions swimming around my head. Relief that we now had a concrete plan. Worry that the Orcs will not accept our plea. Apprehension; my people may not approve of this move, the could rebel as an extreme reaction. If they so chose, the people could over throw me and elect a new family to rule. I doubted they would do this, it's a very bold move for such a conservative race, but the thought was always at the back of my mind.

I decided to leave for the Orc lands tomorrow, taking only a handful of elite guards and Fenwir while the other soldiers trained day and night back in The Veil. But first I had to deal with those pesky humans lingering like vultures outside The Veil.

That night I did not sleep well, tossing and turning in my bed, unable to get comfortable. My plan churned away in my head, I kept telling myself that this was the best move we could make. I couldn't help but feel scared, utterly terrified really. This would be the biggest war I had ever engaged in, which is quite remarkable seeing as I have seen many wars in my 500 years of life.

When I did eventually fall asleep, I had terrible nightmares; my people were being slaughtered, men, women and children at the mercy of faceless, emotionless soldiers. Men tried bravely to protect their families and neighbours, but the soldiers overpowered them too easily. Homes were burning and collapsing around me, women's ripped clothing littered the streets as the soldiers stripped them naked, raping them mercilessly. Their screams pierced my ears like a hundred shards of glass, I tried running to their aid, tried to unsheathe my blade, but I gasped at the air and my body froze in motion. I glanced down to find anything to throw at the soldiers, but there I saw my own naked form, lifeless on the ground. My body was covered in wounds; bruises, bites, scratches and burns. One large gash was around my neck, rich red blood had pooled around my head. Only then did I realize I was a soul, my host was dead, I was dead.

I woke up screaming at the top of my lungs, my cheeks were already damp, I must have been crying in my sleep, I didn't even know that was possible.

"My lady! Are you hurt?" A mans voice came from the window. I blinked furiously, clearing the tears from my eyes to see who it was. Fenwir was kneeling on my windowsill, he balanced delicately in the small space. His sword was drawn, he must have thought I was in danger.

"Oh it was terrible." I sat up, my head on my knees, crying unabashedly. I heard him move off the sill, his armor chinking together as he moved.

"It was just a dream 'Luna," Fenwir sat on the bed,  as I looked up, he scooped me up and sat me on his lap, he rested his back against the headboard. I continued to sob into his metal shoulder as I relived the dream over and over in my mind.

I was surprised, his metal armor was not cold to the touch. It felt warm, but still smooth, it was like hugging a warm shield. A warm shield that gently rose and fell as it breathed. I don't even remember falling back asleep, but at least this time I wasn't plagued by disturbing dreams that felt like reality.

The next morning I woke up with puffy, red eyes that ached as I blinked. I don't recall when I was tucked back into bed, but I was grateful for it. I can't remember how long I lay there, staring at my beautiful ceiling, watching the sunlight pour through the window, casting irregular but serene shapes onto the ceiling. Every so often I'd hear the gentle sound of a horse's hooves, trotting along the dirt path outside, towing a cart behind him. I even heard the distant roar or the Dragon Keep, and for a moment I felt like time had rewound, the war was not imminent and it was an ordinary day.  Oh how I wish it was a normal day.

I can never truly recall what wartime actually feels like until war breaks out again, it's like my brain does not wish to be able to recollect on such awful, dark times. I had forgotten the stress and anxiety that comes with war time, the pressure and expectation put upon my shoulders by my people, the council and most of all myself. I had lead battles before, I was confident of my skills, and yet I still felt all the anticipation as if this was my first war and I were a naive commander.

The door creaked open a fraction, I snapped out of my trance, jolting upright, with a blade already retrieved from my bedside table, ready in my hand.