The Dragon Tamers [2]

“Queen Feluna.” The 11 council members stood and bowed as I entered. “What should we do, they have an army of over a hundred thousand.” The eldest member spoke.

“The Letharian Elves cannot face such a force, even with The Dragon Tamers.” Another member added. The council looked emotionless, like the talk of potential war was an everyday topic. But I could see that beneath their time weathered faces, worry started to sink into place as the reality of the situation become clearer with every passing minute.

“You are right, we cannot go to war in this state, even if we mustered every able bodied man in The Veil, we may only have twenty thousand at most.” I spoke softly to my elders, the war-maiden façade had momentarily lapsed. “I will pray tonight, and look into The Great Mother’s Eye for guidance. We will resume this meeting tomorrow. May The Great Mother look upon you kindly.” I bowed gently.

“May The Great Mother look upon you kindly, Queen Feluna.” The council members spoke in unison, they farewelled me with the usual elvish saying. The Great Mother was a supreme being, who came to our mortal dimension to create the elves and their land at least a hundred thousand years ago. We do no fear The Great Mother; she rewards those who praise her name and send their prayers to her and does not punish those who turn to other Gods.

I strode out of the room deep in thought, the dragons we raise are the Letherian Elves greatest pride and treasure, we cannot just hand them over, even with the threat of war. Why do the Humans suddenly want our dragons again?  What could they be possibly planning?

By the time I reached the bottom of The Great Mother Tree, my head was swimming with questions, it made me feel lightheaded and queasy. My feet were on auto-pilot as they lead me towards the temple.

“Queen Feluna, has the council come to a decision?” A deep, familiar voice snapped me out of my thoughts; I stopped and looked at The Head of the Guard, dazed.

“Oh hello, Fenwir, I’ve decided to pray to The Great Mother for guidance. There is no clear solution at the moment.” I began walking to the temple again.

“Can I accompany you, M’lady?” He grinned under his helmet; I nodded gently, smiling back at him, as I took his outstretched arm. We walked in silence; old friends need not say anything to have a conversation, he understood the turmoil and stress I was under at the moment. I relished the silence, it allowed me to organise my thoughts slightly.  “Good day M’lady. May The Great Mother look upon you kindly.” He bowed, kissed my hand and left as we reached the temple, only women were allowed in here. I blushed slightly and grinned as his soft lips touched my hand.

“Oh good grief Feluna, now is not the time for romance.” I mentally slapped myself as I remembered I had more pressing issues.

Slipping off my shoes, I stepped inside the alabaster temple; entering filled me with complete and utter peace, this sense of peace grew stronger as I neared the altar, it calmed me to the point that I wanted to sleep...Mmmm sleep, maybe I could cuddle up on those cushions over there... I gave myself another mental slap and shook myself awake.

I knelt at the altar for hours, praying to The Great Mother, asking for guidance and answers. I could feel her presence all around me, she showed me the suffering of the last war, how the Elves had somehow defended The Veil against wave after wave of Humans and Dwarves. However the Human and Dwarf army only managed a mere fifty thousand back then. She showed me, fighting on the front lines alongside Fenwir and Beogin, I knew that I could not let this happen again, yet war seemed the only way out.

“Great Mother, our dragons are our prized possessions we treat them with love and respect. I fear for the dragons safety and wellbeing should we hand them over.” Cruel imaginations of humans cracking whips, shouting abuse and overworking the dragons swamped my head. Tears welled in my eyes as I thought of the horrors the dragons would have to suffer through should I hand them over.

“Feluna, look at the devastation I showed you. I will not allow history to repeat itself. However, in those visions, the elves stood alone, proud and victorious in the end, but alone. I have looked into your memories, a hundred and fifty thousand men will quickly over power and kill you and your people.” She filled my head with images of screaming children and widowed wives in The Veil. She then zoomed to the Human capital city of Thundering Reach, my severed head was impaled on a stake out the front of the High Lord’s keep. Tears poured out of my eyes as the reality of the truth finally anchored itself. The Letharian Elves can not face such a force and win.

“What do I do Great Mother?” I sobbed uncontrollably within the privacy of the temple.

“There are still 2 other potential allies in Atheron, Feluna. Reach out to them, plead for their help, you will need to lay out some serious bargaining chips though I suspect. Farewell my child, I will watch over you kindly.” The Great Mother’s voice slowly dissipated from my head, and so did the calm feeling that overwhelmed me. She had left the temple for now.