The Wright House

Picture to the right is Tate

I contemplated calling Tate back as I sat on my bed rolling my phone around in my hands. It would be the perfect time to call. It was late, everyone was asleep, and we’d get to talk without any interruptions. But the nerves to wake up tomorrow for my first day at a new school had me on edge.

 I had grown up with everybody at my previous school. I always had Theresa and Tate with me when I went up a grade. Even Brady was around to make sure I entered high school easily. Now I was alone.

The thought of trudging down the hallways of the school with everybody’s eyes on me had my palms clammy within seconds. I began sweating profusely as strands of my hair began sticking to the sides of my face. Why was I so nervous?

I straightened my back and sucked in a deep breath through my nose and let it out through my mouth. After a few moments, I felt relatively calmer. I placed my feet on the cold surface of the wooden floorboards, and stood up.

I walked over to the floor length mirror in the corner of my room and looked on at my reflection. Half my hair was stuck to my pasty pale face while the other half was standing up at odd angles. My lips were chapped as if I had just walked out of the harsh cold winter. I really needed a shower and some chap stick.

I grabbed my towel and opened my door. I winced as it creaked loudly with every inch it gave. I didn’t want to wake my parents. I could already imagine my mom fussing that I should be in bed early because of school tomorrow.

I stepped into the cold dark hallway, carefully closing my creaky bedroom door as quietly as possible. I padded down the long hall in absolute silence and darkness. I mentally pinched myself for not bringing my cell phone to shed some light.

As I walked passed Orson’s room, the bloodcurdling feeling of being watched assaulted me. I sucked in a breath as goose bumps ran up the back of my neck. I shuddered as the temperature dropped.

Drip

Drip

Drip

The sound of leaking water made me tense up. There was someone behind me, I just knew it. I sucked in a breath and resumed walking towards the bathroom. I flicked on the light as soon as I entered, shedding light into the dark hallway. I spun around to face whomever or whatever was hovering behind me.

Nothing.

There was nothing behind me. I pushed open the bathroom door wider, shedding even more light into the hallway. I followed my steps and stooped down to where I had heard the incessant dripping. And once again, there were small driblets of water on the hardwood floor. I brushed my fingers through it gently.

Where had it come from? Once again, I was baffled. There was no way that this water had come from the ceiling. I brought my wet fingers towards my face and sniffed it. A sudden chill jolted through me. I stood up unsteadily and hurried back to the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I would not be prowling the house at night again.

********

I was drifting. It was like floating in a sea of nothingness. I felt as if I could fall off the edge of the earth at any waking moment. My limbs felt heavy and useless. I stared up at the beautiful stars, and how the moon hovered over me.

I was so cold.

Why was it so cold?

My hair brushed against my bare shoulder as it flowed around my head, almost like a halo. Black dots were slowly blocking my vision. I could feel my body shutting down. As alarming as the realization that I was going to be no more was, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of calm and a small degree of anger and betrayal.