The Edge of Darkness

Prologue

The girl peered behind the wall and pushed her hand over her mouth to stop herself from screaming. There was blood everywhere. Her parents’ room resembled a butcher’s shop. She sucked in a deep breath preparing to step inside the room. She already had a gut feeling who the blood belonged to, but she could still hope and pray she was wrong.

She tip toed into the room slowly and made her way to the bathroom where all the blood lead to and screamed. Her mother lay in the bath tub, her eyes wide open. Her mouth hung open as if she had been caught mid scream.

The girl surged forward, tears pouring out of her eyes, “Mama!” she screamed. She reached out and touched her mother’s hand, and stiffened at the coldness of it.

“Hillary?” she heard his soft whisper.

She froze and quickly pushed herself against the wall. She heard his heavy footsteps as he walked around the room slowly.

“Hillary, don’t make me have to come looking for you” he said angrily. Hillary silently cried as she heard him getting closer. She needed to get out of here and downstairs. That’s where the phone was. All she had to do was call the cops and then run next door, she’d be safe.

She sucked in a breath and waited for the perfect moment. As soon as she heard the floor creak right outside the bathroom door, she took one long look at her mother before sprinting out of the bathroom and knocking him over.

“You little bitch!” he roared, but Hillary was already running out of the room. She heard his boots hitting the floor as he thundered behind her. She let out an earsplitting scream hoping someone would hear her.

There’d be no time to make it to the phone. She thought sadly. She ran down the stairs, through the kitchen, and straight to the backyard. I can just hop the fence and I’ll be in Mrs. Billagy’s yard. She thought happily.

As soon as her feet hit the patio, her hair was yanked hard causing her to fly back and land hard on her back, “You think you were going to leave me?” he yelled in her face.

“I’m so sorry daddy please!” she begged as tears ran down her face.

He hauled her up by her hair and wrapped his hand around her neck, “The both of you are mine!” he roared before throwing her into the pool.

Hillary swam to the surface and sucked in a large breath of air right before her father jumped on top of her. He grabbed her and held her underneath as she thrashed in the water. She scratched and clawed as much as she could but it was no use, he had a death grip on her and he wasn’t letting her back up.

At least I get to be with Mama. She thought happily as everything went black.