Chapter Four

Persephone and Credence talked for days. She brought him around the city and showed him just how full of magic it was. He was in love with it all. It shocked him how beautiful and mysterious magic was, it shocked him to think that he had been missing out.
What would have happened if he was taught in magic. He could have gone to the magic school Persephone talked about. It would have been amazing.
"Hey, how did you end up in Mary Lou's orphanage?" She asked, looking around at the beautiful foliage that surrounded them.
Credence paused for a moment, staring down at the floor. Does he tell her the truth or does he tell her a lie. She's been kind and sweet, why should he lie. Thousands of thoughts ran through Credence's head, assessing the situation but Persephone frowned as she heard no response.
"Credence, I'm sorry if I asked too much of you... I know how horrible it is to lose your parents," Persephone said in a slightly hushed tone. She stared down at the ground as well, wishing she could have spent more time with her parents. But it was useless to dwell on the past, it wasn't like they were going to come back to life.
Persephone's mention of knowing what it was like broke Credence out of his mesmerized state, "What do you mean?" he asked, a hint of pity hidden in his voice.
She shook her head, her hair falling in her face as she plastered on a some-what fake smile, "N-Nothing, it's not important," she told him and glanced up at him through her curtain of hair.
He decided against pushing her even more because he wasn't going to tell her about his parents. Credence looked over at her and nodded as a sort of mutual agreement. They would tell each other when they were ready.
"M-My sister wants to meet you," she said gently and tried to smile encouragingly, "she said that she wanted to meet the No-Maj that was taking up all of my time."
Persephone let out a slight laugh when she saw his reaction and pulled Credence over, sitting down on the bench.
"They're not scary... well Teenie is kinda," Persephone said and laughed nervously.
Credence looked at her, "I-I thought we weren't supposed to know, y-you told them that I know?" he asked, alarms blaring in his head.  He was going to die, he was going to be killed.
Persephone shook her head, seeing the shock and fear in Credence's eyes, "They wouldn't tell on me, they're my sisters. Don't worry."
He visibly calmed and sighed, "When do I meet them?"
-
A few days later, Persephone was attempting to walk Credence to a local diner that she was going to meet her sisters in. Of course, Credence stopped every few steps. Thoughts of doubt kept going through his head. What if they didn't like him, he could die. What if they told on Persephone, they would die.
"Calm down, Credence. They're not going to eat you," she said in an attempt to console the panicking boy.
He shook his head, "They could kill me," he said looking down at her with wide and fearful eyes.
"We don't kill No-Maj, we only obliviate them," she said and then slipped her petite hand into his.
This seemed to calm him slightly but his head was like a rollercoaster. Persephone didn't tell him anything about her two older sisters and he couldn't mess this up. He couldn't lose her. He didn't have any other friends, the rest of the people thought he was odd.
Credence took a long look at Persephone and then started to walk again. He had to do this if he wanted to maintain his friendship with Persephone.
Once they got there, Persephone easily spot Queenie's short auburn hair in the sea of people. It made her smile instantly, "Queenie! Teenie!" she called out and pulled Credence over to her sisters.
Queenie and Tina grinned at their little sister and instantly Queenie dove into the mind of the No-Maj that they were to meet. It was easy, too easy, maybe because he was a bit weak-minded. She bit her lip at the information that churned through her mind. One little fact got stuck. He was born into a wizard family. Did Persephone know? Obviously not because he decided to hide that fact. It was because he didn't want to talk about the way his parents died. Queenie's face changed expressions as she dove deeper. He seemed to be a squib, there wasn't any magic that she could detect.
Persephone saw what her sister was doing and huffed, "Queenie, stop it," she said sternly and sat down, pulling Credence next to her.
Queenie snapped back into reality and placed on one of her signature smiles, "I'm sorry, I can't help it."
The youngest sister rolled her eyes, "Oh shush, you know how to control it," she said and took off her hat.
The group sat in silence for a second before Tina decided to make her presence known, "Hi, I'm Tina. I'm Persephone's oldest sister," she said, sticking out a firm hand for the boy to shake.
Credence sat wide-eyed as he reached over to shake Tina's hand. It was odd, the way Tina acted. It was as if she wanted to assert her dominance but she was the eldest sister after all.
Queenie was a bit more gentle, "I'm Queenie," she said in her usual light and airy voice.
Credence smiled at the lady and took her gentleness as a sign of understanding, "I-It's nice to meet you two," he said as calmly and professionally as he could, "I'm Credence."
Persephone's two older sisters nodded simultaneously, "We know," they said in tandem.
This caused a rosy blush to appear on Persephone's cheeks, "I've talked to them about you," she said and smiled awkwardly at the only guy sitting at their table.
Credence smiled at Persephone's blush. He thought it was rather cute. This alarmed him. She told him about the love law. He couldn't be with her, it was impossible. And yet his heart yearned for her.

-

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you're enjoying the story! I've just released another story but it's Hamilton based so if you're in love with the musical as well, ease go check it out. Thanks so much and please take time to follow me and leave a vote. Much love, The Small Teaspoon. <3