Chapter 36 - To The Future

"Anymore?" Scott asked, knowing Max far too well it seemed.

"I cleaned house," he said casually and climbed off the bed, hoping without much real belief that his lovers would leave it there.

He needed a shower, so he very purposely walked towards the bathroom.

"You did what?" Gian could be as melodramatic as he could it seemed by the level of volume that question had.

"I cleaned house," he repeated, busying himself with pulling some fresh towels from the cupboard; "there are no vampires left in about twenty miles all round."

He was about to step out of the room when he found Scott in his way.

"Let's get this straight," Scott said, refusing to let him past, "you went after vampires by yourself, deliberately."

Scott sounded more than a little worried and Gian was standing only a foot or so away with a similar expression of anxiety.

"Yes," Max said, realising with a sinking feeling that he was not getting away with it.

"Why?" Gian asked.

He was stuck now, he had to explain.

"Because I could feel them," he said, wishing he'd kept his mouth shut, "and they were a danger and I couldn't just leave them there. They think I'm some old Russian vampire who's decided to move in and set up home. According to the hunters the locals are scared shitless and none of them will be trying anything anytime soon."

Scott still did not look happy, but Gian looked thoughtful, which was possibly worse. The Swiss actor fingered the cross around his neck.

"You did this for us," was Gian's conclusion and Max couldn't exactly deny it.

He felt all kinds of awkward that he had all but gone caveman on his lovers' behalves.

"I couldn't stop myself," he admitted, not sure it was a good thing; "I began having nightmares and I couldn't think about anything else. I had to make it safe."

It could have been incredibly dangerous, he knew that, but he had had no choice.

"It's not like there are any old vampires hanging around New Jersey," he offered in hopes it would allay their fears.

The way Scott's frown deepened did not give Max much hope he had succeeded.

"You," Scott said, as if he was about to launch into some tirade, but then he sagged a little, "are going to give me grey hairs."

Max did his very best to look apologetic, but he refused to feel guilty.

"My powers keep growing and changing," he said quietly, "everything seems to affect them in some way. Having you both coming here, it changed how I felt, something shifted. I don't know, maybe it made it real."

It wasn't easy to explain; he didn't always understand himself these days so letting someone else in on the truth was difficult.

"Mon Amour," Gian said, placing a hand on his arm and making him turn, "it pains me that you endangered yourself," Gian paused, "but thank you."

Gian gave him a small smile and so he sent one back. He was so focused on his Swiss boyfriend that he actually squeaked when arms wrapped round him from behind and Scott pulled him close.

"Please tell me you don't plan to challenge every vampire you meet," was what Scott said.

"Not unless I have to," Max replied honestly; "but they come anywhere near anyone I love and all bets are off."