What a Beautiful Cruel Truth

Yoichi and the others had all met beautiful, graceful and reserved Mikaela through Yuuichirou. They had all known Yuuichirou was in love. In love like a fool. And Yuuichirou had always tried his best to describe and explain why he was so head over heels in love with his lover, but to no success. He couldn't explain the fiery passion he felt for his beloved blond. And his friends couldn't understand why.

Until they met the target of Yuuichirou's affections. They understood why he fell for the blond, and why it was so hard to explain the love he felt once they saw them interact, when they thought they were alone. When Mikaela would let his calm, composed and slightly cold mask slip off, for his beloved to see. Only then, were they able to comprehend their love. It made them happy, and seeing how warm and loving Mikaela could be, made them more determined to gain his affection. To become his friends.

It took time, but Mikaela's mask was begging to slip, little by little.

But there was no time. Yoichi and the rest were a squad in the army, part of the vampire extermination unit, Yuuichirou included, Mikaela excluded.

Before they knew it, they had been called to action. They left behind promises of return with Mikaela. They left with guilt and a bitter taste in their mouths, at the sight of Mikaela's tears. At the sight of his forced and very, very sad smile. They bit their tongues when Yuuichirou promised to return, gave Mikaela a loving kiss and hug, before forcing himself to unwrap his arms from the shaking blond. They wanted to stay at the sight of pain filled eyes, at the sight of his trembling, forced and very, very sad smile. They wanted to cry when Mikaela threw away his forced smile, and in vain attempt refused to let go of Yuuichirou, of any of them. But they left.

Only Yoichi returned.

Yoichi was alone, and mentally lost. He didn't know where to go or what to do. He didn't want to do anything. He'd didn't even have the consolation of knowing whether his comrades, his family, was alive or dead. Their status was unknown as of the moment.

Yoichi thought of letting his body rot away just like how he had mentally been doing from the moment he returned to the base after being separated from his beloved friends. Only to find he was the only to return. But he didn't. He refused to do so. Pushed the thought away and instead built himself up again, for three months, with the hope of them being alive.

Three months, what a joke. Yoichi and his squad had been lost in battle for more than that. They survived, so why wouldn't they now?

But Yoichi had distanced himself from everything. The vampire extermination unit wasn't calling him, for the lack of squad, so he didn't call them. Yoichi forgot about interacting. And even though he was rebuilding himself, it was a slow process.

It was slow until a knock to the door came and he met with a blond he had forgotten to even think about. Guilt immediately swallowed him whole.

Three months of torture for Yoichi. But it had been a year and three months for Mikaela. That's how long they were gone for.

At that realization Yoichi cried and cradled Mikaela in his arms. Whispering pleads of forgiveness. That was the first time Mikaela had ever returned his hug without having any level of hesitation.

Yoichi cried and sobbed with Mikaela until Yoichi, noticed the presence he had failed to acknowledge before, cleared his throat and called out to Mikaela.

"Mikaela-sama we should head back, you must rest." He said.

Upon hearing that Yoichi took notice of how much thinner Mikaela felt in his arms, of how paler and unhealthy he looked. No matter how close to death Mikaela seemed to be, his beauty still showed through, was what Yoichi thought. He brought his hand up and cupped Mikaela's cheek as he looked up.